Business In's And Out's In Canada

Business By cab333 Updated 21 Aug 2010 , 12:20pm by Spectra

cab333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cab333 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 7

Hello Everyone,

Curious to know if there are any fellow Canadians out there who are considering starting a cake decorating business out of their home? Are things equally as complicated in Canada as it appears they are in the US? icon_smile.gif

6 replies
hvanaalst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hvanaalst Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 12:57am
post #2 of 7

I would love to do it, but here in Alberta I need to have a separate kitchen that has it's own access and is cut off from the rest of the house. Not possible where I live now but maybe my next house.

custard79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
custard79 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 7

Me too I would love an answer to this question. I don't even know where to begin to look for answers. I live in Ontario if anybody has any advise.

shalini1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalini1 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 4:14pm
post #4 of 7

You can start reading on the Ontario Gov't website, though it doesn't quite specify anything about a home based (food) business.
Based on my research (and I don't know if it has changed at all recently), in Toronto, you will need a separate commercial kitchen. If you live in a house - depending on the zoning bylaw of your area, you may be able to convert your basement into a separate kitchen and that would be acceptable. There are tons of info on the gov't website on how to start a business, links to the Toronto Business Development Centre and the food incubator

Note: The food incubator is a waste of our time because they will only rent their kitchens to members, and it only makes sense to be a member if you're thinking of manufacturing en mass (producing for distribution to other stores)

HTH

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 7

I'm in NB and it varies per province. Call your local health department, Health Canada, they'll get you in touch with an actual inspector, least that's what they did here, and he called me back and answered all my questions. Here I can have a home business as long as it's a seperate kitchen, like in the basement, with two sinks, and a door, not to the outside, but just a door, and soap dispenser and paper towel dispenser. He even gave me his e-mail and was extremely helpful.

Though I don't need to go through any of this if I want to sell at the Farmer's Market.

shalini1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalini1 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 5:27pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectra

I'm in NB and it varies per province. Call your local health department, Health Canada, they'll get you in touch with an actual inspector, least that's what they did here, and he called me back and answered all my questions. Here I can have a home business as long as it's a seperate kitchen, like in the basement, with two sinks, and a door, not to the outside, but just a door, and soap dispenser and paper towel dispenser. He even gave me his e-mail and was extremely helpful.

Though I don't need to go through any of this if I want to sell at the Farmer's Market.

Spectra - you're so lucky. I think Farmer's Market here would be much more of a headache. I'd need a vendor's permit (it doesn't make sense to get it anyway if your business generates under $30K). The food inspector I spoke to was extremely helpful, but he didn't want the buttercream standing outside, so I'd need a cooler that guarantees a certain temperature. Whew!

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 12:20pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks, though I wish it was easy! Because it is so easy to sell food at the Marke the waiting list to get into the Market has been booked full for 6 months and I can't even get on it! So frustrating. In the meantime I'm thinking of renting out my Church's kitchen just to see if I have what it takes, and if I truly love it, before re-doing my basement to put in a kitchen. Though I was lucky to get this info before we started building our house a few months ago and have put in the drainage and water lines into the basement where the kitchen will hopefully go. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%