Favorite Cupcake Frosting

Baking By Redsoxbaker Updated 21 Aug 2010 , 12:08am by bakescupcakes

Redsoxbaker Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 11

I'm just wondering if anyone uses a different frosting on cupcakes instead of the ones they use on cakes. I would like to try something smoother and creamier for my cupcakes. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance! icon_smile.gif

10 replies
bakescupcakes Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 11

All I can suggest is IMBC. It's both smooth and creamy! YUM!!

Redsoxbaker Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 12:12am
post #3 of 11

bakescupcakes,
That's exatly what I was just looking at right before I read this. I haven't used that yet but I hear its really smooth, creamy and delish !!!!

bakescupcakes Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:46am
post #4 of 11

It is delish!!! I've always used buttercream and only recently discovered IMBC a few months ago. When I first made it, I couldn't stop eating it! I was standing in my kitchen eating a cupcake and continuously piping more icing onto the cupcake as I was eating. Lol not a pretty sight! It's really nice with coconut cupcakes!

Pallison Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 4:06am
post #5 of 11

There are several recipes for IMBC posted in recipes....which one is the best or is there a better one than those...???

bakescupcakes Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 4:51am
post #6 of 11

I'm not really sure. I got mine from a recipe book. I can post it if you like.

Redsoxbaker Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 10:49am
post #7 of 11

Would a recipe using butter instead of crisco make the buttercream smoother and creamier?

bakescupcakes Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 12:43pm
post #8 of 11

Yes butter in my opinion makes the buttercream creamier, not sure about smoother. Over here in Australia we all grew up with butter in our icings, so I 've only ever used shortening once when doing a Wilton course. The recipe I've used for years is basically: 125g butter, 1 1/2 cups icing/powder sugar, 2 tbs milk, vanilla. I whip the butter till really fluffy before adding any of the sugar and milk. You could use cream instead of milk. Sometimes I even freeze cupcakes with the icing piped on, they defrost really well.

Redsoxbaker Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 2:14pm
post #9 of 11

bakescupcakes,
Thanks for the tip! I think I'll try that for my cupcakes. I really like Indi's buttercream for my cakes. It holds up well and I get a lot compliments on the flavor!

Pallison Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 9:16pm
post #10 of 11

@bakescupcakes....125g butter, 1 1/2 cups icing/powder sugar, 2 tbs milk, vanilla. I whip the butter till really fluffy before adding any of the sugar and milk. You could use cream instead of milk....
Is that the recipe for IMBC...?? Sorry to be so slow...!! icon_smile.gif

bakescupcakes Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 12:08am
post #11 of 11

Pallison, no it's just a standard buttercream recipe.

The recipe for the IMBC I use is:

1 1/4c sugar
1/3c water
6 large egg whites at room temp
3/4 teas ceam of tartar
2 1/4 (4 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temp, cut into pieces.

Makes about 6 cups. Can add any flavour. Method can be found on line. Lol too long to post. HTH icon_smile.gif

There's even a youtube clip on how to make IMBC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%