Storage For Tiered Cake?? In A Box?

Decorating By ErinVA Updated 20 Aug 2010 , 3:57am by ErinVA

ErinVA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ErinVA Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 5

i am making one of my first tiered cakes and the person wants me to bring it to their house on saturday and then they will take it to the baby shower on sunday. it is a small, but stacked cake that wont fit into a traditional "cake box". how should i give it to her? put it in some random brown box i can find or wrap it or what?? its all buttercream and i want it to be fresh. delivery on sunday (the day of the event) is not an option. HELP!

4 replies
microbiology1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
microbiology1 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 5

How confident are you that it will travel well stacked? I sent one with my friend last weekend but in two boxes, already frosted and had her stack it when she got there. That gave me the option of putting it in one closed box (the base) and one open box with wax paper over the top for the top 2 layers (I taped a dowel inside the box to prevent the cover from crushing the icing). I also sent extra frosting and a spatula for any emergencies.

If you think it can travel stacked I would put it inside a box with wax paper around the inside walls if you are worried at all about sliding. Once the frosting has crusted the wax paper is less likely to stick to the cake than the side of a box.

ErinVA Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 5

thank you.. i think i can definitely send it stacked. its small... a 10" round and a 6" round... and it doesnt have to go far, just a few miles. will it stay fresh overnight in a box like that?? can i just use a random box that i have lying around... someone sent me a package in the mail and i still have that box... can i use it? or do i need to go buy a brand new clean box? sorry if these are dumb questions, ive never done this before

microbiology1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
microbiology1 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 12:40am
post #4 of 5

Yes. As long as they keep it away from strong smells, and heat/humidity it will be fine. I think you are fine with a used box. Just make sure it's not say a box that held fish, eggs, pizza, etc. Anything that could potentially cause illness or is already embedded with strong smells is definetely something you want to avoid.

ErinVA Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:57am
post #5 of 5

thank you so much for your help! i really appreciate it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%