Color Dots Appearing On Iced Cake.

Decorating By alycakes Updated 25 Aug 2010 , 3:15am by alycakes

alycakes Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 14

I need help because i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. the last 2 cakes i have done have been iced in a solid color. One was yellow and the other one was green. I iced and decorated them the day before delivery and they looked fine. the next day i noticed that small dots (same as the food coloring i used) where all over the cake. I have attached an example of how it appeared on the green cake.

I'm not sure if this is happening due to me not mixing the icing good enough after the color was added. or if it might be the coloring i'm using, wilton icing colors.

has any one had this problem before, how do you fix it.

i'm embarrassed when i deliver the cake and it has the color dots all over the smoothed buttercream icing.

13 replies
TexasSugar Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 14

What color are the dots? I know purple is bad about spotting blue and I have seen blue and pink do white dots before.

It could be a number of things, people will ask you if you added salt to the icing, maybe it wasn't disolved all the way and that created the spots. Some thing it is lumps of powder sugar or crisco that didn't get mixed in.

Me I think is it minerals in the water reacting to something in the colors, which is why it doesn't happen with all colors or to all people.

If it is the spots I am thinking of, then just make your icing a head of it, it will spot then you can stir it up and you are good to go.

If they are darker colors of spots than your color of icing, it could be parts of the coloe gel that didn't get mixed in all the way. Older gel colors could cause that.

Herekittykitty Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 14

Sounds like your icing is seperating a bit. Perhaps someone knows the reason for this? Happens to me sometimes with strong colors when I use an all butter buttercream that gets too warm. Don't know why though.

microbiology1 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 14

I've always had a problem with green separating on me. My teacher suggested thinning the icing with milk rather than water. I haven't had purple separate but it does always fad.

TexasSugar Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 14

Seprated icing in my experince is usually colored liquid and white solid bits. You can get it when you get your icing too thin or add a ton of color to the icing. For me it only happens once in the bag, totally weird.

Hopefully OP can come back and give us some more information on exactly what she means.

alycakes Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 1:37pm
post #6 of 14

i tried to attach the picture but that didnt work out icon_smile.gif

On the yellow cake the dots were almost an orange color, looked the same as the actual yellow food coloring gel. On the green cake the dots were a dark green again it looked the same as the color gel. That is why i thought it might be because i didnt mix it enough. but with the green icing i actually mixed it in my kitchen aid so i think it would have been mixed better then i normally can do by hand.

I dont think the food coloring was that old but again that could be a possibility. and i was trying to get it a certain color of green so it could also have been too much.

alycakes Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 1:39pm
post #7 of 14

the icing i used is with shortening no butter. it had water no salt.

TexasSugar Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 2:32pm
post #8 of 14

From your discription I'd think it was the color gel. Does it seem to be thicker than when you first bought it? It could be that parts didn't blend in well. I'm not sure what the fix is. If the spots didn't appear until the next day I would say next time make the icing ahead of time, color it and let it sit a while. Maybe these spots can also be stirred back in.

Also if you do need a darker color it helps to make it early because your colors will deepen as they sit and you could end up using a little less coloring than you thought you would need.

cakesdivine Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 2:56pm
post #9 of 14

Did you refrigerate your cakes after decorating? If so it is the condensation causing it.

Herekittykitty Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 8:21pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Seprated icing in my experince is usually colored liquid and white solid bits. You can get it when you get your icing too thin or add a ton of color to the icing. For me it only happens once in the bag, totally weird.
Hopefully OP can come back and give us some more information on exactly what she means.

This happened to me last night. Piped mostly fine (some liquid did seperate and leak out) but the bag had white streaks in it. So weird, fine in the bowl but the second it touched the bag, seperation. I did use heavily saturated colors though.

TexasSugar Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 11:40pm
post #11 of 14

Isn't that weird how it does that? Usually if I'm making darker color, no matter what brand, I'll add a little bit of cornstarch in with it. It helps with the separation.

Herekittykitty Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 4:09pm
post #12 of 14

Too late for this cake but thanks for the tip, I'll try it next time! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 5:07pm
post #13 of 14

I always add it for red and black since you have to add some much coloring. I think think that much gel/paste affects the icing causing it to seperate, especially when you start with thin icing.

alycakes Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 3:15am
post #14 of 14

texas sugar, thanks for your advice i will definitely keep it in mind next time i do a dark icing. i mixed two colors and i remember one color was a little thicker then normal so i'm sure that was it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%