Good News!!

Lounge By Babarooskie Updated 21 Aug 2010 , 3:57pm by Rosiepan

Babarooskie Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 10

This is nothing about cakes, but I just had to share...

My sister in-law has Cerebral Palsy. When she was born, doctors said she wouldn't be able to walk, but she did at the age of nine. She is just amazing- she has her BA in Psycology, goes out with her friends and lives her life.

She has struggled though- nobody would offer a paying job and she wouldn't get accepted to a local University (obviously, they never provided a reason). She is currently volunteering at a CP center for children.

Well.... she was finally accepted into the University to get her Masters progam!!!
We're all so very excited for her icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you all for letting me share!

9 replies
tiggy2 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 10

That's Fantastic! Hopefully she will end up with a great paying job.

Babarooskie Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 10

Your lips to God's ears, Tiggy!

Thank you icon_smile.gif

lemonpuppyseed Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 9:08pm
post #4 of 10

Congrats to your sister! What an inspiration!!!

Cindsters Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 9:47pm
post #5 of 10

That's great news!

kansaslaura Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 10:49pm
post #6 of 10

Someone bake that girl a cake!! Awesome news!! party.gif

Babarooskie Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 12:53pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you all!!

Yes, she is soooo excited! She called yesterday practically in tears. It's been a long struggle for her (and it will continue to be, unfortunately). However, she does great on her own...

People can be so cruel though. She has no problem going to the mall by herself (she's 33 years old) and there have been times where someone walking right by her would knock her down because they are walking so fast. We go to a restaurant and people stare continuously...It frustrates the hell out of me! icon_mad.gif

Anyway, I must remain positive and know that she is an amazing person and will continue to keep fighting.
Again, thank you for all your well wishes!!

kansaslaura Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 1:33pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babarooskie

People can be so cruel though. She has no problem going to the mall by herself (she's 33 years old) and there have been times where someone walking right by her would knock her down because they are walking so fast. We go to a restaurant and people stare continuously...It frustrates the hell out of me!

This really makes me mad too!! I'm typing and deleting things I want to say, but feel them better left unsaid--I've had the privledge of being a friend to a person with CP. He is vibrant, brilliant and always looking for ways to exceed and contribute.

She could just sit back and let the state take care of her every need, but fought through!! I hope she's journaled her journey, it could certainly be a good example for many MANY people who don't bother to even try.

Babarooskie Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 2:48pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babarooskie

People can be so cruel though. She has no problem going to the mall by herself (she's 33 years old) and there have been times where someone walking right by her would knock her down because they are walking so fast. We go to a restaurant and people stare continuously...It frustrates the hell out of me!

This really makes me mad too!! I'm typing and deleting things I want to say, but feel them better left unsaid--I've had the privledge of being a friend to a person with CP. He is vibrant, brilliant and always looking for ways to exceed and contribute.

She could just sit back and let the state take care of her every need, but fought through!! I hope she's journaled her journey, it could certainly be a good example for many MANY people who don't bother to even try.

Thank you kansaslaura...
Everytime we go out to dinner and when people stare, I just feel like yelling, "What the hell are you looking at? She's probably smarter than your whole family combined!" icon_lol.gif

She's truly an inspiration... she has her BA in Psycology, now getting he Masters AND she volunteers for children with CP.

Happy Friday, everyone!

Rosiepan Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:57pm
post #10 of 10

Oh wow! That's happy news indeed. Please pass on my sincerest congratulations to her.She will go far in this live with that kind of grit and determination.
It bugs me that people will judge on physical disabilities yet there are so many 'normal' looking people out there who are so handicapped emotionally and are more a prisoner of their minds and attitudes to how they see and deal with life than your sister will ever be with her body.
Good on her icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%