Cakeboards Between Layers?.?.

Decorating By jdub253 Updated 20 Aug 2010 , 5:06pm by microbiology1

jdub253 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdub253 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 6

What do you guys use to cover cake boards between layers? I know you can't use them as cardboard, but if you cover in Foil, the backside has tape on it... I've tried covering the back side of the foil with a circle of parchment paper (attached with frosting) What's the best way of doing this?

For square cakes I usually just cover the whole thing in foil and put the tape on the underside, but I have problems with rounds.

I've seen the systems that you use do separate and stabilize, but I'm talking about smallish cakes that don't necessarily need something like this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

5 replies
SPCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCC Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 6

you CAN just put the cardboard circle on the cake

microbiology1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
microbiology1 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 8:36pm
post #3 of 6

Use foodgrade cardboard, not leftover carboard from your soda flats and you'll be fine (i.e. the cake boards at the store). Trying to cover them increases the likelihood that the layers will slide apart.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 6

the only board you need to cover is the one you will be using for display...the "cake stand". The other cake board rounds do not need covering with anything. They are food grade and perfectly fine uncovered. The support board, cake drum or rounds you use to under the bottom tier for display purposes can be covered in any food grade material such as foil or fondant.

Cat

jdub253 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdub253 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 4:34pm
post #5 of 6

I'm retarded...I don't know why I assumed I needed to cover them. I always use the cake boards that I get from Michaels or Joanns that are for cakes.

Thanks!

microbiology1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
microbiology1 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 6

I think it's just counter intuitive. I mean you wouldn't serve someone a piece of pizza still on the cardboard, but you need it for support in a cake so it's just a must.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%