Buttercream Question!!

Decorating By Tickled_Pink Updated 19 Aug 2010 , 3:39pm by Tickled_Pink

Tickled_Pink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tickled_Pink Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 3

This might be a pretty basic question, but I havent worked with Buttercream much and was curious if I need to refrigerate a cake that has buttercream crumb coat and covered in Fondant? or is it ok to stay out?

I usually use non- butter frosting and leave my cakes out, but this time Im doing buttercream and I dont want to get people sick if Im not supposed to leave it unrefrigerated!!!

Also- a 2nd buttercream question. Im making some cupcakes with the buttercream icing. Is it best to frost the day of? Or can I frost the day before?? Again- Im guessing these would need to get refrigerated too right?

Thanks in advance for your expertise!!

2 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 3

If it is butter and shortening and no other items like eggs or creamcheese it is fine to leave out. Butter really does take a LONG time to go bad and sitting a few days on out at room temp will NOT cause any issues. BUT if you have any eggs or creamcheese in your BC then yes you need to refrigerate.

Tickled_Pink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tickled_Pink Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 3:39pm
post #3 of 3

Ahhh, very interesting! I hadnt thought of the other dairy elements as possible problems, just the butter! Makes sense.

Thanks VERY much!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%