Need Great Scratch Strawberry Cake

Baking By 2SchnauzerLady Updated 23 Aug 2010 , 7:35pm by KTB4

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 9

Hi all: I need a great scratch strawberry cake recipe that works well for cupcakes. I will be making neopolitan cupcakes next week - white and stawberry cake swirled, with chocolate icing. I really don't like the strawberry cake mix, even though I'm a fan of WASC

8 replies
Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 12:09am
post #2 of 9

This one is not scratch, but it's very good.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/simply-delicious-strawberry-cake-recipe/index.html

When I made it I only used half of the jello (I know some people don't like to use jello in their cakes). You coud leave it out and use strawberry juice in place of the water.

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 2:25am
post #3 of 9

Hmm this looks good - do you think you could use fresh strawberries when they're in season instead?

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 7:51am
post #4 of 9

Try adding Hero Strawberry Compound to your tried-and-true white/vanilla recipe. It's what I do.

KTB4 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

Try adding Hero Strawberry Compound to your tried-and-true white/vanilla recipe. It's what I do.

What's that? I don't think I've ever seen it before. I'm in Canada though which could explain it icon_biggrin.gif

Msjckson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Msjckson Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 3:14am
post #6 of 9

I was also looking for a strawberry recipe from scratch. I found this one on all recipes.com It ranked 4.5 out of 5 stars be reviewers. One suggestion everyon had was to separate the egg whites, whip them to stiff peaks and fold them in at end.

Ingredients
2 cups white sugar
1 (3 ounce) package strawberry flavored gelatin
1 cup butter, softened
4 eggs (room temperature)
2 3/4 cups sifted cake flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup whole milk, room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup strawberry puree made from frozen sweetened strawberries

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and dry strawberry gelatin until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Combine the flour and baking powder; stir into the batter alternately with the milk. Blend in vanilla and strawberry puree. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a small knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool in their pans over a wire rack for at least 10 minutes, before tapping out to cool completely.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 12:00pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks everyone!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 7:31pm
post #8 of 9

I'll bet you can find it online. I get it from my local wholesaler. It works like extract, but it's thick and made mostly from the real fruit and it super delicious.

KTB4 Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 7:35pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

I'll bet you can find it online. I get it from my local wholesaler. It works like extract, but it's thick and made mostly from the real fruit and it super delicious.

thanks icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%