KsCakes09 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 2:02pm
post #1 of

I'm making tiki faces ..since I've alread made a batch w/ royal icing details & was not happy with how they turned out (my piping was not my best) so I figured fondant might be a better way to go. Any suggestions on how to apply the fondant onto the cookie?? Do you put RI on first or something else (piping gel, buttercream etc.)

7 replies
cab333 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 3:13pm
post #2 of

I just did some cute groom tuxedo's and applied a thin layer of corn syrup on the cookie - which acted as a super glue for the fondant! And it added a nice sweet layer in between the fondant and the cookie!

JRAE33 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 6:00pm
post #3 of

There are a couple of ways to do this. The corn syrup method has already been mentioned. I have not tried that one.

What I do is cut my fondant out while the cookies are baking so I am ready when they come out. Once baked, I give them two minutes to cool, then top with the rbc. The fondant "melts" to the cookie and you are all set to go. If I don't get one or two adhered in time and they come loose, I just add a touch of royal when I am adding my details and it stays just fine.

Texas_Rose Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 6:08pm
post #4 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRAE33

There are a couple of ways to do this. The corn syrup method has already been mentioned. I have not tried that one.

What I do is cut my fondant out while the cookies are baking so I am ready when they come out. Once baked, I give them two minutes to cool, then top with the rbc. The fondant "melts" to the cookie and you are all set to go. If I don't get one or two adhered in time and they come loose, I just add a touch of royal when I am adding my details and it stays just fine.

This is what I do also. I use MMF and I cut the fondant shapes out in advance, so they will firm up a bit and be easy to pick up. I don't wait two minutes though, just loosen all the cookies from the sheet with a spatula and then put the fondant on right away.

Cookies4kids Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 9:58pm
post #5 of

I do just what Texas Rose does, but I don't loosen the cookies until I am all done with the fondant. I like the cookies held in place just in case I need to spread the fondant out a little with my fingers. I also like to smooth down the edges of the fondant for a more glazed look.

_christina_ Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 2:36am
post #6 of

Just did my first batch this week and I can totally say that putting the fondant on while the cookies are hot is da' bomb!!

WendyB Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 5:29pm
post #7 of

If your cookies are already cool you can just brush water on the back of the fondant and it will stick like glue to the cookie.

blessedist Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 6:05pm
post #8 of

http://www.satinfinefoods.com/testimonials.htm

Click on Anne Heap...there's a little tutorial there

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%