Tip For Drying Fondant Gum Paste Quickly

Decorating By Byron Updated 19 Aug 2010 , 2:54pm by step0nmi

Byron Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 12:39pm
post #1 of 2

Ok, so there may be many reasons why I shouldn't do this - but with 4 hours to go it worked!

Yesterday I made a purse and shoes cake, the fondant arrived late so I only had 24 hrs to cover the cake, and more importantly make and dry the gumpaste (made from fondant using tylose).

I made the handbag straps and shoes and left them to dry overnight. In the morning they were doing well - yeah the gods are with me icon_smile.gif .

So as it was a hot humid day I put everything inthe basement as it is cooler. Went down later to check -crack on the handle - thats ok I can cope. Went later - bigger crack and leaning so i proped it up. A little later worse still the handle would not stand at all and the shoes had gone soft. Now realise that the basement is cooler but 10 percent higher huimidity and only 4 houirs before the party!!!

So i panicked and thought logically. Need to dry something - need decescant - so I ran and got a stach of Silica Gel sachets I had (I hord things) stuffed them between the shoe and its lining and arround the purse handle.

4 hours later I removed them - everything stood up just great! - icon_biggrin.gif

sorry if you just read all this and it is a comon tip icon_rolleyes.gif - I only just thought of it!)

1 reply
step0nmi Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 2

omg! I don't think i've ever heard or thought about using those...but that's a GREAT tip! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%