Help! Birthday Cake Recipe For Stacking

Decorating By eve81 Updated 19 Aug 2010 , 1:03pm by Crimsicle

eve81 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 12:24pm
post #1 of 4

I'm making a 2 tier cake, top tier 8inch round chocolate cake and bottom tier 10 inch round yellow cake. The yellow cake is one that I've tried a few times in 8 inch pans and comes out perfectly. BUT it's not working in the 10inch pan.
I redone it thinking I may not have cooked it long enough or mixed it long enough but its desperately sinking when it settles after coming out of the oven. It looks so sad icon_sad.gif It must not scale up easily.

Can anyone recommend a different recipe for a 10 inch cake pan, or help in any way?

(I hate that my posts are always pleading be to saved)

3 replies
cherrycakes Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 12:33pm
post #2 of 4

Are you using a heating core for your 10 inch pan? I use inverted greased flower nails and find that they really help the cake to bake more evenly.

eve81 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 12:36pm
post #3 of 4

Hey!
Yes I'm using a greased flower nail in the middle of the pan. It bakes perfectly in the oven with hardly any dome at all but when it comes out it sinks after a few minutes.

Crimsicle Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 1:03pm
post #4 of 4

The most common reason a cake sinks is underbaking. I don't see how a teeny tiny little flower nail can conduct enough heat to take care of that problem, although many people swear by it. I use a small tin can for a heat core in large pans- the size tomato sauce comes in. They're hard to find these days, because you need to be able to open the top and bottom with a can opener so that you have a tube. A lot of cans have rounded bottoms that don't open with can openers. I find what I'm looking for in the foreign foods section usually. So, anyway...grease and flour the inside and outside of the can/tube and push it into the batter until it rests on the bottom of the pan.

Yes, you'll get a separate cylinder of cake when it's done. But, the outer main cake and the cylinder plug will fit together perfectly. And, most important, the cake will be done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%