Rkt Questions

Decorating By fairmaiden0101 Updated 20 Aug 2010 , 3:38pm by Marianna46

fairmaiden0101 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 5:27am
post #1 of 6

I have some questions about Rice crispy treats. I have to mold an apple for a teacher cake in a few weeks and was wondering which holds its shape better, already make RKT or homemade? Anyone have any pointers on how to get that smooth look when covering with fondant or would modeling chocolate be better. Any advice is greatly appreciated! TIA!
PS if homemade is better what is a good solid recipe..should butter be omitted?

5 replies
celestecakes78 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 12:32pm
post #2 of 6

I've never used the ready made RKT i've always made my own.Alot of things have been said about omitting the butter in the recipe but i've followed the recipe on the box of rice krispies and never had a problem.An apple is pretty easy to do. Personally the way i've done it is shape and cool my RKT and then cover it in royal icing and let dry, the RI fills in the gaps of the RKT and gives you a smoother appearance when the fondant is applied over it. I'm new to modeling choc so I don't know if its easier then fondant. HTH

cathie_shinnick Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 1:07pm
post #3 of 6

I have used both and I think the premade ones "squish" together better for a smoother look.....

sillywabbitz Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:08pm
post #4 of 6

I use the premade ones. They're easy to work with, I dont' have to deal with left overs or getting marshmallow out of my mixing bowl...all good things for meicon_smile.gif

fairmaiden0101 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks everyone for the tips! I am new to RKT and have tried to avoid using it, but one will never learn I guess if they never try

Marianna46 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 6

Having used both, I agree about the ready-made ones being easier to work with. Another thing you could use to smooth out the bumps in the finished shape is ganache, which I find easier to smooth than royal icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%