Injuries While In The Kitchen *laughs*

Decorating By BethLS Updated 3 Sep 2010 , 7:07pm by Darth_Aerdna

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:26pm
post #31 of 37

I always brush my wrists against the hot pans after I take off my oven mitts. It's sort of like my announcement to the world "I baked today". Also have taken cakes out of the oven using a wet dishtowel - next time, rather use your bare hands.

I've also given myself acute carpal tunnel by decorating 400 highly detailed cookies in one week. My son's hand therapist treated me, and warned me that no human should do that, ever.

Battle scars all. I carry them proudly.

shannonmarie77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonmarie77 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 4:59pm
post #32 of 37

I burnt the top of my arm baking cakes last nigt also. thumbsdown.gif

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 5:17pm
post #33 of 37

Too many burns to count. But what's most frustrating is that almost every time I LOOK at my X-acto knife, I get a cut. Soooo, I spend most of my cake decorating time double gloved. Nice. At least I know it's sharp, hunh?

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 5:17pm
post #34 of 37

I dont have any injury stories, but glad I read this thread so I know to never buy Daisy sour cream..I'll stick with WalMart brand icon_lol.gif

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 5:22pm
post #35 of 37

I've had a couple of minor oven rack burns. I recently got a bad steam burn while reaching over my rice cooker to unplug it. I also had a pyrex baking dish explode on me when a drop of water fell on the hot dish. The worst injury by far was from melted sugar I was stirring to make caramel for a flan. I used a wooden spoon to stir it but somehow when I let go of the spoon, it flipped in the air and landed in my hand and stuck to two of my fingers. I started waving my hand to "cool it off", but dummy me, I was cooking my skin more. It didn't occur to me to put my hand in ice water right away. The skin on my fingers and my finger nails melted right off. So gross and painful. My fingers did heal though, thank God. But now, when I work with sugar, I keep a bowl of ice nearby and no kids allowed in the kitchen!

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 5:23pm
post #36 of 37

Oh and I forgot...getting my finger stuck in the 1M tip while cleaning it. Hate that!

Darth_Aerdna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darth_Aerdna Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 7:07pm
post #37 of 37

I was once making candy apples. Some of the melted sugar had apparently solidified on a spoon, and as I was washing everything I ended up cutting my finger in the sugar! A nice deep slice!
I couldnt believe that sugar could get that sharp!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%