Injuries While In The Kitchen *laughs*

Decorating By BethLS Updated 3 Sep 2010 , 7:07pm by Darth_Aerdna

BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 4:44am
post #1 of 37

I am by all means well known as a "klutz". If there is even the slightest bit chance of injury to myself in any situation, it undoubtably finds me.

Tonight I was baking off some cakes for the weekend, and I was in a hurry (surprise?) and moved too quickly with a 14by14" square layer in my hand and bam, the hot pan left a nice burn on my right upper (inner) arm. Nice. Teach me for being in a hurry!

Though I have burnt myself on the top of my arms pulling cakes out too. *sigh*

But, not once, ever, have I gotten burned on the walk-in Hobart oven. Go figure!

Post your cake-injuries! I havent yet read a post like this, and thought it could be fun icon_wink.gif....or maybe Cake Centrals Funniest Injuries contest? Ha!

36 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 37

Not a cake related injury, but I was making cornmeal mush for a tamale pie last week, and when the cornmeal was "plopping" while I was stirring, I got several burns on my hands from the hot mush - it looks terrible!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethLS

But, not once, ever, have I gotten burned on the walk-in Hobart oven. Go figure!

Ok, I've been around a long time, --Walk-In Oven??? I've got a big convection oven, but nothing I could.. or WOULD want to walk into!! icon_lol.gif

Please.. tell me about this walk-in oven.

Injuries.. I got a nasty bruise trying to tangle with my 20qt. I shut it off, was in a hurry to scrape down the sides and the paddle and spatula tangled and well--the paddle won!

It's always when I hurry.....

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 2:25pm
post #4 of 37

Funny you should start this thread now. Just last night I was trying to tort a semi frozen layer with a pretty sharp serrated knife...and well once I finished sawing through the frozen middle section, the knife went faster than expected through the other side and put a nice little slice in my finger. icon_redface.gif

I had to blame my dh because he was trying to have a conversation with me while I was trying to focus on torting. But before I blamed him, he said "jeez honey you're not very good at this stuff are you?" icon_mad.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 2:52pm
post #5 of 37

So far, nothing serious but my arm will touch the side of the Blodgett oven because I didn't open the door far enough when checking cakes or that big knife I use for torting and carving cuts me when it just barely touched my hand. Or the 3 cuts on my wrist when I reached 'over' the Agbay and didn't pay attention and my wrist just passed by that razorsharp blade. Mainly small burns and cuts, so far, and I hope it stays that way.

BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 37

Yep, BIIIIIG Oven! Seriously can put about oh, 50 sheet cakes in there at a time to bake?

I dont know the model number, but its a big sucker. Convection AND the racks circulate inside the oven.

Thankfully I've never had any instances while torting a cake...wait that will be next! icon_cry.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 37

A walk-in oven...with as clumsy as I am, I could never have one of those. I'd trip for sure and wind up roasted. YIKES.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 9:46pm
post #8 of 37

I've never heard of a walk-in oven. I've worked with ovens that are longer than houses... they can be continually loaded onto revolving shelves (not racks), and unloaded at the other end, but still weren't walk-ins. All of the temperature controls can be adjusted in each zone from the outside panels near viewing windows. No room to walk inside, unless of course it was off and a mechanic had to crawl inside to repair something.

kansaslaura Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 9:54pm
post #9 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

A walk-in oven...with as clumsy as I am, I could never have one of those. I'd trip for sure and wind up roasted. YIKES.

Well the first thing that came to my (must be morbid) mind was a "slide in feet first" oven... if you get my drift. Eww icon_surprised.gif

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 11:49pm
post #10 of 37

The first bakery i worked in had a walk-in and though I never burned myself I did use it to warm up on cold days. Just set it at 300 then stand inside while it heated!! I left the door ajar of course icon_smile.gif

sari66 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 11:50pm
post #11 of 37

The first bakery i worked in had a walk-in and though I never burned myself I did use it to warm up on cold days. Just set it at 300 then stand inside while it heated!! I left the door ajar of course icon_smile.gif

sari66 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 11:51pm
post #12 of 37

sari66 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 11:53pm
post #13 of 37

sari66 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 11:54pm
post #14 of 37

Good lord my puter hiccoughed sorry about that icon_biggrin.gif

sari66 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 12:08am
post #15 of 37

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 1:34am
post #16 of 37

Tendinitis, both elbows, both from CAKE! lol-It's kind of embarrassing too when people would ask what the braces were for icon_lol.gif My right arm went out when I was whipping up some cake batter, 2 orders 2 days in a row. My left arm went from kneading candy clay, I felt the tingling sensation and I'm like, "Noooooo!" They're getting better now, no more braces thankfully so my injury is hidden icon_wink.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 7:58am
post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Well the first thing that came to my (must be morbid) mind was a "slide in feet first" oven... if you get my drift. Eww icon_surprised.gif

I do get your drift and had several morbid thoughts come to mind too. icon_eek.gif

HannahLass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahLass Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 9:25am
post #18 of 37

Other than the usual burns from the oven (not a walk in lol) and lifting cakes out of the oven with gloves putting them on the counter then picking them up with my hands ouch my memory clearly isn't that good. I managed to dangle a scalpel from the tip of my finger last week. cleaning up went to grap scrap icing to throw away and the darn thing was hiding underneath came away with it fully embedded in the tip of my right index finger. Good job the cake was done and boxed up I bled like a stuck pig! Luckily I'm a quick healer and its nearly fixed now. Warming up in a walk in oven ?? I've got images of hansel and gretel lol. x

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 6:18pm
post #19 of 37

Not a cake injury, but I've been known to be waiting for a frying pan to heat up and then say to myself, "Is it hot yet?" and then TOUCH it to find out, YES it is HOT.

TheDomesticDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDomesticDiva Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 9:44pm
post #20 of 37

This is embarrassing to admit. The thing I've hurt myself most on while baking cakes is...ready for this?...opening the dang sour cream containers! You know, those little metal seals beneath the lid that you have to pull off? Yep. Cut myself on those dang things almost everytime. icon_redface.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 12:41pm
post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbief

But before I blamed him, he said "jeez honey you're not very good at this stuff are you?" icon_mad.gif

And he said this while you were still holding the knife? Brave man.

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 2:22pm
post #22 of 37

Nasty cuts while trying to cut either watermelons or carrots. And getting some habanero juice on my lips when I was making my raspberry habanerao pepper jelly: smoke billowed from my ears. Burns from cake pans, cuts from torting large cake layers. We should get hazard pay icon_biggrin.gif

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 2:54pm
post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDomesticDiva

This is embarrassing to admit. The thing I've hurt myself most on while baking cakes is...ready for this?...opening the dang sour cream containers! You know, those little metal seals beneath the lid that you have to pull off? Yep. Cut myself on those dang things almost everytime. icon_redface.gif

I have done that a couple of times.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 3:14pm
post #24 of 37

I was making cookies in a hurry, and I dropped the bowl I had softened the butter in. I put my knee up to try to catch the bowl...not really catch it, but bounce the bowl off my knee before it hit the ground, to try to keep it from breaking. The bowl smashed against the cupboard and one of the pieces cut my leg open. The cut was only a little more than an inch long, but very deep. I had to have four staples in it.

kansaslaura Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 7:31pm
post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyNoQ

Quote:

Those darn Daisy Sour Cream ones??? I've sliced a finger on those too! I now buy Kroger brand with a finger friendly little cellophane seal!!

kansaslaura Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 7:32pm
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I was making cookies in a hurry, and I dropped the bowl I had softened the butter in. I put my knee up to try to catch the bowl...not really catch it, but bounce the bowl off my knee before it hit the ground, to try to keep it from breaking. The bowl smashed against the cupboard and one of the pieces cut my leg open. The cut was only a little more than an inch long, but very deep. I had to have four staples in it.

Dang!! OUCH! It seems like I've got the dropsies more latley and I'm always in a hurry!!

TheDomesticDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDomesticDiva Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 12:33am
post #27 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyNoQ

Quote:

Those darn Daisy Sour Cream ones??? I've sliced a finger on those too! I now buy Kroger brand with a finger friendly little cellophane seal!!

YES! Daisy!! I've started checking the sour cream before I buy it to see what kind of seal it has LOL!! I can't take anymore deep slices! Nothing better than having to deliver a cake with a bandaid on your finger. icon_rolleyes.gif

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 12:39am
post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatdessert1st

Nasty cuts while trying to cut either watermelons or carrots. And getting some habanero juice on my lips when I was making my raspberry habanerao pepper jelly: smoke billowed from my ears. Burns from cake pans, cuts from torting large cake layers. We should get hazard pay icon_biggrin.gif

Raspberry Habanerao Pepper Jelly???!!! icon_confused.gif

tapedshut.gif No comment!

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 12:46am
post #29 of 37

Kitchen Battle wounds, hmmm...

While working in the bakery and Dunkin Donuts, I don't know how many times I burned the insides of my forearms on the donuts screens! (pulling hot donuts out of the fryer)
I told my DH I never wanted to be cremated! I told him I got burned so much in life, I didn't want to get burned afterwards! He said, "You'll be dead!" I said, "Yes, but I'll know! And If you cremate me, I'll come back to haunt you!" icon_wink.gif

Recently, while caking, I got the nastiest burn I have ever had. I was putting a ribbon around a cake board and got a bad burn from the GLUE GUN! icon_surprised.gif Duh!

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 1:43am
post #30 of 37

My worst one was trying to fix my broken retractable-blade exacto knife a while back stabbed myself where my middle finger meets my hand, pretty sure the blade bounced off the bone it was so deep. It was a tiny little entry wound though. It's amazing how bad a little tiny cut can hurt!

Many, many, burns from the oven. I can hardly get anything out of the oven without burning myself, it's been that way my whole life.

I've also cut myself on the sour cream!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%