Sps Question. Need Some Help

Decorating By CakeChica Updated 20 Aug 2010 , 3:34pm by sillywabbitz

CakeChica Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 4:22am
post #1 of 4

I have a cake order for October. One of my biggest yet. I live in the subs and its going to the city 25 miles (Downtown Houston) so my plan is to use the SPS system I have used it before and trust it. It's also going to be picked up by someone else so the SPS system I trust. However the only thing that I keep thinking is how can I be sure to bake the cakes to the 4 inches that the columns are? I have only used it once before and the cakes stayed in place but I did have a gap so I just filled it in with some fondant roses and no one knew any better. But this design is for someone else (not family like the first one was) and I am so scared that there will be a gap. Can anyone give me any tips on how I can achieve the right measurement of the 4 inches, it would be so helpful and it would help me sleep at night. I can't sleep now cause this is on my mind. They are going to be square tiers and I noticed on my square pans they seem to dome more. I have the cake strips and I used to use them but I just never saw a diffrence in it. I would always still have to cut the top off to even it out.

I was thinking in case there is a gap is there some tool I can get at the hardware store to cut the columns to size??? Please help it would really put my mind at east and maybe I can get some sleep from now until October LOL. I also thought maybe I could just over fill them to be sure they at least get to the 4 inches i need and just prepare my oven for a mess.

3 replies
CakeChica Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 4

LOL I should have just read the SPS directions. It's been awhile. icon_lol.gif

sillywabbitz Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 4

Hey Cake Chica,
It's hard to get that perfect height sometime but you're better a little over than a little under. I've had cakes up to 4 1/2 inches and the SPS still worked great. I think leah recommends 7/8 for each layer ( a single tier is 4 layers) which is 3.5 inches of cake. That leaves her enough room for her filling and her buttercream and or fondant.

I've started using ganache under my fondant which has the added benefit of me being able to add height to the cake before I cover it without a lot of problems.

sillywabbitz Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 4

Hey Cake Chica,
It's hard to get that perfect height sometime but you're better a little over than a little under. I've had cakes up to 4 1/2 inches and the SPS still worked great. I think leah recommends 7/8 for each layer ( a single tier is 4 layers) which is 3.5 inches of cake. That leaves her enough room for her filling and her buttercream and or fondant.

I've started using ganache under my fondant which has the added benefit of me being able to add height to the cake before I cover it without a lot of problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%