An Absolute Beginner

Decorating By clarinetlaj Updated 19 Aug 2010 , 6:17pm by dmo4ab

clarinetlaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clarinetlaj Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 2:25am
post #1 of 4

Hey all,
I have loved loved loved to bake cakes my whole life, but only recently have i began to entertain the idea of doing it seriously. Everybody says they love my cooking, but i am inexplicably DRAWN to cake decorating. i want to learn to do it but i dont know where to start. I have watched online tutorials, but it seems you need 2 zillion tools. What tools should someone start with? What are the ones i can definitely hold off on?
thanks a million
in CHRIST
amanda

3 replies
DerrellC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DerrellC Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 3:11am
post #2 of 4

Hi Amanda, and welcome to the wonderful world of cake artistry. I would suggest looking into Wilton decorating classes just to get you going on the basics.They are fairly inexpensive and cover some basic skills and tools.

After that the sky is the limit. Good luck, and welcome

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 7:16am
post #3 of 4

I am fairly new too, and have been buying things as I need them. However I wish I'd known about the Wilton decorating caddy. It's a toolbox full of the basics. If you go to amazon and search for 'wilton caddy', you'll find them there. There are two, a 50 piece and a hundred piece. I've never seen either in real life, but reading through the list of contents, most of what I've bought individually is in there, I would have saved heaps!

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 4

Welcome clarinetlaj!
I started off with the first three Wilton courses and the kits for each one. I also purchased one of the Wilton toolkits mentioned above. Even if you choose not to take the courses you can buy the books and kits at stores like Hobby Lobby and Michaels, or proably online, too.
Good luck in your cake efforts. We all understand you passion here!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%