Icing The Holds Shape But Doesnt Harden

Baking By amarilloyankee Updated 20 Aug 2010 , 12:12am by amarilloyankee

amarilloyankee Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 1:03am
post #1 of 8

Ok I don't know if this is even a thing. I have been practicing decorating and recipes. Well one of my sampler person said buttercream shouldn't be hard. Ugghh he is eating it the day after I made them. I tried explaining I use crusting buttercream. He said well costco's cake that are buttercream are soft.

I have only made indydebis buttercream and this wkend I tried the cream cheese version of it.

I really don't know other icings. Help please

7 replies
kittykat416 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 12:52pm
post #2 of 8

Perhaps an Italian buttercream? Wikipedia tells me it is the most common type of icing used for bakery cakes and it does not form a crust like American buttercream...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buttercream

BethLS Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 12:55pm
post #3 of 8

I cant imagine most american bakeries (such as costco, walmart, ect) use a Italian buttercream. I dont think someone that is used to costco cakes is going to be an icing conesuer, (sp error Im sure) lol.

I KNOW for a fact Walmart uses a shortning based buttercream. (I worked there for two years as a cake decorator!)

So unless he is talking about a whipped topping icing???

microbiology1 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 8

I believe that they are using a buttercream with no meringue and thinned with corn syrup. Which also gives it that extra shiny appearance.

TexasSugar Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 4:54pm
post #5 of 8

Did you tell him you don't make Costco cakes? icon_wink.gif

I'd go with the majority opinion personally. Has anyone else said the same thing? Don't feel like you have to change your recipe to just please one person. icon_smile.gif

As was said IMBC or SMBC are none crusting but there are also people that don't like the taste of them either.

You can play around with any buttercream recipe you want. To get it to crust less you use more fat or less powder sugar. To get it to crust more you add less fat and more sugar.

amarilloyankee Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 10:18pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks I actually like my cakes and so do all my neighbors....I am stupid enough to send some with the boys when they go to see their dad and he and my 2nd oldest are the ones NOT liking em!! @#$%@#$$

Thank you all for the advice and tips! I will have to try them!

microbiology1 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 10:40pm
post #7 of 8

wait, you listened to your ex? That's the problem right there! icon_wink.gif

amarilloyankee Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 12:12am
post #8 of 8

Yeah no joke haha

my hubby doesnt like cake really so I have to force him to even take a bite and the kids..well my boys eat pretty much anything so it is hard. I keep sending them to the neighbors houses saying PLEASE BE HONEST!! That is the only way I am going to know how they taste..especially since I am on a diet and I dont want to cheat!! (probably not smart when your just starting out trying to find out if you have what it takes to do this KWIM) haha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%