What To Use For Sand ...?

Decorating By mariyas_babycakes Updated 19 Aug 2010 , 9:31pm by dchockeyguy

mariyas_babycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariyas_babycakes Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 14

Hi my fellow CCsters!
I have an order for my very first Sandcastle for a 5 year little girls birthday... So I've read here on CC a variety of things you can use to create sand: Cinnamon and sugar, brown sugar, graham crackers... My question to you all is which is the best tasting ? Thanks in advance to all you helpful tips icon_smile.gif

13 replies
khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 14

I like brown sugar. Some people don't like the taste of cinnamon ( they are living with challenged taste buds as far as I'm concerned ), and I'm always fearful graham crackers are too dry. Sugar....now that is melt in your mouth sweetness!

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 14

You can use crushed vanilla wafers!!! And, it kinda offsets the sweetness of the buttercream icing. I personally prefer this option, though graham crackers are another option.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 14

I personally can't stand biting into an accumulation of brown sugar, so I use finely crushed graham crackers and 'nilla wafers mixed together.

I adhere the mixture to tan tinted buttercream and it's not dry at all.

Rae

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 14

Finely ground vanilla wafers and graham crackers mixed taste really good and have the perfect color. Only downside, is they get soggy and stale-tasting if you are finishing the cake too far ahead of time. But I still prefer it to brown sugar...biting into that can be overwhelming.

Chibikuma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chibikuma Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 4:22am
post #6 of 14

If it's a sandcastle and for a 5yr old, I'd go for graham crackers/vanilla wafers crumbs.

mariyas_babycakes Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 4:56am
post #7 of 14

Thank you all so much! I will make sure to post my creation soon ; and will keep in mind all of your suggestions! thumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 3:00pm
post #8 of 14

I used brown sugar on the one I did for my nephew years ago. For a pile of sugar or around the edge of the cake, I like sugar in the raw.

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 4:26pm
post #9 of 14

I like the vanilla wafers crushed up (I use a roller on them in a zip lock bag). I mixed some gold sanding sugar in them to give them that sparkle sand has. Doesn't take much but add a nice touch.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 4:37pm
post #10 of 14

Okay, I have to tell you this: I use a gazillion things for realisitic sand. I use crushed graham crackers, crushed nilla wafers, brown sugar, granulated sugar and peper. Yes, peper! You don't need a lot, and it adds a really necessary realistic black color to sand.

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 4:44pm
post #11 of 14

I use Cinnamon Toast Crunch.... it works well and tastes AWESOME! icon_smile.gif

mariyas_babycakes Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 8:51pm
post #12 of 14

OH ALL YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME... PEPPER GREAT IDEA TO GIVE IT A MORE REALISTIC LOOK BUT I'M AFRAID IT MIGHT BE TOO HARSH OF A TASTE... BUT I'LL GIVE A SHOT THANK YOU AND CINNAMON TOAST CRUNCH THAT SOUNDS SO PERFECT CAN'T WAIT TO TEST ALL OF THESE IDEAS!!! thumbs_up.gif

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 9:14pm
post #13 of 14

I did a search on beach cakes the other day because I am doing something like that this weekend. Someone used crushed pecan sandies and it looked very realistic. Had a nice sand color and had the darker specs in it and everything. And who doesn't love the taste of pecan sandies? If I can find it again I'll post a link.

ETA: it was easier than I thought. I saved it to my favs

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1391427

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 9:31pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbief

And who doesn't love the taste of pecan sandies?

Me! I can't stand those things.

Oh, and a little amount of peper isn't going to affect the flavor with all that sugar in there!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%