Pin Holes In Fondant

Decorating By christyA Updated 22 Aug 2010 , 5:28pm by christyA

christyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christyA Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 9

When I use the white Fondx that has been colored with gel color to cover a cake, I get pinholes along the edge of the cake. Sometimes it tears, most times not.

I thought it was because I needed it to be more pliable like I find the Satin Ice to be. I've added more shortening to the Fondx and even heated it in the microwave for a few seconds like Duff's fondant suggests. Even with that it still gets the pinholes. I've tried shortening, pwd sugar, heat, rolling it thinner, keeping it thicker. And it happens on larger cakes as well as smaller cakes. I'm starting to think it's the fondant and not me!

Anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions? When I get home I'll upload a couple of my most recent cakes to show the pinholes - you can see if fairly well in a couple of the shots.

TIA!

8 replies
Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 1:54am
post #2 of 9

I actually had that happen to my last cake, this past Sat. But it didn't do it until we were driving to our friends house. I used Fondx and it was fine in the house so, I thought it was because of the heat. Our house was 74 and it was 106 outside, we cooled the car down, but it was just so darn hot.

christyA Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 9

Sorry, I didn't get notified of a response and didn't see your post until now.

Our house is usually 74 and I have an oscillating fan blowing most of the time. But I notice it on mine as soon as I put it on the cake. I want to say it's too dry but I just can't get the nice elasticity that I get with Satin Ice.

If only I could get it in larger buckets. My local supply shop only carries SI in 2# buckets and it costs $9/pound. I'm not charging enough for my cakes to support that price!

Anyhow, thanks for the reply!

Karen421 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 9

I just cover a cake and it is perfect now, but it is 103 today and when I deliver it tomorrow it will be about the same - so if the same thing happens...? I dont know?

christyA Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 9:32pm
post #5 of 9

I'll be interested to hear whether it happens to you again. I don't have another cake due until the 25th so I'll see what happens on my end on Monday. Fortunately there are lots of stripes on the cake I'm doing so I can at least attempt to cover the holes.

Karen421 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 9

I'll let you know tomorrow after it goes out in the heat! I hope it will be ok!

Goldberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goldberry Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 1:50pm
post #7 of 9

hi

If you get the slight tears in your fondant I would say that its not thick enough- but you can repair it quite well. run the palm of you hand along the tear and it will soften the fondant enough to repair it - it won't be perfect but certainly a lot better.

another tip is to use a cake lifter for the fondant so that it doesn't stretch as you are trying to put it on the cake. Or if you don't have one of these usea rolling pin to bear the weight

hope that this helps
icon_cool.gif

Karen421 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 1:44am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by christyA

I'll be interested to hear whether it happens to you again. I don't have another cake due until the 25th so I'll see what happens on my end on Monday. Fortunately there are lots of stripes on the cake I'm doing so I can at least attempt to cover the holes.

The cake covered perfectly, no pin holes or anything. I set the A/C in the house at 76 today, but the head index outside was 112, so I was really worried after last weekend. What I did was cover the top of the box I used to transport the cake in, so I could avoid condensation. (I treated it like taking it out of the refrigerator) It did develop one small spot on the top, but nothing like last week. I still am not sure if that's what's causing it, but it wasn't like it when I left the house. ??? detective.gif

christyA Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 5:28pm
post #9 of 9

Karen - thanks for letting me know. Glad it worked out for you!

Goldberry - This really isn't a tear. I've had those and I'd recover the cake if I got those. These are hard to explain. Like tiny air pockets the size of a pinhead or smaller. I can't see the cake through it so it's just going partially through the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%