Assembling Cakes

Decorating By gagaljaja Updated 19 Aug 2010 , 11:13pm by Cindy619

gagaljaja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gagaljaja Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 10:15pm
post #1 of 6

How do you place an 11x14" cake onto another 11x14"cake? I am new to cake decorating and I just do for my kids/grandkids and every time I try to place one on top of the other, it splits. Any help would be appreciated.

5 replies
Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 5:19am
post #2 of 6

Did you level your layers? If they are not level then the top layer is going to split. The bottom layer will split also if the dome is top down.

gagaljaja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gagaljaja Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you for your reply. I cannot claim they are level. Every time I pick up the second layer to lay it on top of the first layer I have this problem. I'm making a practice cake over the weekend and I will make sure it is very level. Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it so much.

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 5:13pm
post #4 of 6

You're welcome. I hope that helps.

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 10:54pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaljaja

Thank you for your reply. I cannot claim they are level. Every time I pick up the second layer to lay it on top of the first layer I have this problem. I'm making a practice cake over the weekend and I will make sure it is very level. Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it so much.

have you tried using a cake lifter, the other way of doing it is to slide it on a spare cake board first then slide it off on top of the other layer. keeps it supported so it doesn't split while layering one on top of the other

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 6

I spent the little bit of money on the cake lifter and it saved me a lot of aggravation! If you don't have a cake lifter, or cake board, you can always just grab your spouse (or anyone else you can find!) and have them give you a hand. My cake lifter replaced my husband icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%