Wood Floors?

Decorating By cakesbycookie Updated 24 Aug 2010 , 6:36pm by RafaelLogrono

cakesbycookie Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 8

I`m doing a cake with hard wood floors...like a basketball court but I`m not sure how to get the hard wood floor look. Any help would be awesome.Thanks

7 replies
cherrycakes Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 12:29pm
post #2 of 8

I would suggest cutting individual stripes of fondant and lay them on the cake or board like you were installing a hardwood floor. You could lightly score the fondant with a knife to create a woodgrain pattern and then brush the floor with a mixture of brown gel colour and vodka. Good luck!

cakesbycookie Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 8

good idea thank you

kello Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 8

That's the way I've done a few cakes now. I started with a light brown chocolate fondant and Painted with warm brown and a little yellow or gold color as well.
Another option is marbling your fondant.

bettinashoe Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 8

I lay tinted, rolled fondant on the cake board. Then I take a ruler (plastic) and laying it on its side make lines to resemble the boards. I then lightly cut irregular lengths into the boards. Take the end of a toothpick and lightly mark the fondant boards. Then wash the boards with a darker color so the color seeps into the wood grain you just placed on the boards. It is quite simple.

cakesbycookie Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 4:43pm
post #6 of 8

thats sounds good but complicated lol. I bet it looks great though.

Cindy619 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 6:19pm
post #7 of 8

Depending upon how much time you've allotted to make the floor, you might be able to make the floor with just a solid sheet of fondant that you score fairly deeply to mark the edges of each floor board (ie: with a knife and a ruler) then make lighter impressions for the actual wood grain. I agree with the idea of painting with gel and vodka. Here's a pic of a wood barrel I made using white fondant, then brushing on brown gel color mixed with vodka - http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1697144.

RafaelLogrono Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 6:36pm
post #8 of 8

I find it easier to cover the entire board with marblelized fondant (light yellow and white) and then score (Haha, pun intended!) the lines with a large yard stick ruler. I use a chef's knife and start giving the fondant scratches.

I know that basketball stadiums have a light wood graninig too it. While I would give a wood graining effect usually with a little yellow and brown (with vodka), for this purpose, I would just use ivory and vodka to grain and color the fondant once on the board.

Quote by @%username% on %date%