Choco - Pan Fondant?

Decorating By KTB4 Updated 19 Aug 2010 , 1:29am by KTB4

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 8

I did search for some answers to this I swear but didn't come up with any icon_biggrin.gif

Most of the time people on here talk about SI or Fondarific but rarely Choco-pan that I have seen. I haven't bee thrilled with SI and Fondarific is great but reaallllllly soft and more expensive for me.

Choco-pan is mid range price wise and the purple I have tastes amazing. I have yet to work with it though - Im trying it this weekend.

Do people like it? Any issues you guys find with it? Thanks. I'm trying to find the perfect fondant to use on a friend's wedding cake.

7 replies
dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 9:17pm
post #2 of 8

Personally, I'm not a Choco-pan fan. I find it is often too sticky for me to use. Sometimes you really have to use a ton of PS to work with it. It also tends to do even worse in high heat for me than SI does. Just my 2c.

KTB4 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchockeyguy

Personally, I'm not a Choco-pan fan. I find it is often too sticky for me to use. Sometimes you really have to use a ton of PS to work with it. It also tends to do even worse in high heat for me than SI does. Just my 2c.

Hmm okay good to know. We don't have super high heat but ...

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 11:57pm
post #4 of 8

I've found Choco-pan to be much softer and stickier than Fondarific/Duff's Fondant........................very prone to fingerprints, dents, etc.

Rae

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 12:17am
post #5 of 8

Tastes great but yes it can be difficult to work with. It seems this product melts/breaks down easier especially in warmer or humid weather. Using it in cooler weather is preferred.

KTB4 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 12:45am
post #6 of 8

Hmm okay. Tastes good but softer and stickier than Fondarific. Not what I want then.

I'm guessing this is why people like SI then? Not as soft and sticky. Argh decisions, decisions!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 12:57am
post #7 of 8

I do like SI. I can honestly say that it's never given me a problem--knock wood.

I did have a bucket that seemed too soft once and I mixed 1/3 Wilton with 2/3 SI and I had a marvelous product--worked beautifully and tasted great. So, if I ever need to stiffen SI up, I do this.

HTH
Rae

KTB4 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 1:29am
post #8 of 8

It does help a lot Rae thanks icon_smile.gif My friend has asked me to do her cake and while she knows I'm not a professional (nor do I claim to be) I don't want her cake to look like poop! I much prefer to work in buttercream but she's adamant she wants fondant which is why I'm on a hunt for the perfect one for me.

I've been trying all kinds of them over the summer just to get a feel for which ones I like best. I think SI is going to give me the look we're after though since it seems to dry a little more than Fondarific. I find it always seems to stay tacky.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%