Grrr Satin Ice Tearing And Cracking

Decorating By MommaDukes Updated 19 Aug 2010 , 5:10am by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

MommaDukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaDukes Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 6

I have read on here about the Satin Ice problems. I thought they would have sold all the BAD FONDANT by now. NOPE!
I want to cry, I added some crisco on my hands when kneading cause I could tell it was dry. Spanking brand new container just opened.

I have 3 tiers to do!!

Satin Ice should have recalled this mess. I recently did a cake in fondarific and did not have this problem but the cost is awful.

I have not rolled it too thin it was tearing on the mat.

GRRRR. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Sorry I had to vent.

5 replies
khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 6

I've had this happen to me too. What I ended up doing was applying a thin coat of shortening to the mat / per the SugarShack video. Helped alot. I've also found that when I dust with confectionary sugar vs cornstarch the fondant doesn't get nearly as dry as fast. That might work for you too. Worth a try.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 11:50pm
post #3 of 6

On the Satin Fine Foods site, they do recommend rolling it on a smear of Crisco and not on PS or CS. I've always done it this way and have never had issues with cracking & tearing.

HTH
Rae

MommaDukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaDukes Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 1:26am
post #4 of 6

I smeared crisco on my mat before I started to roll. As it dries it look like a hot mess! Luckily the sides will be covered with surf boards standing all the way around and the top will have sand and shells. Otherwise It would have been tossed in the lagoon!

kelleyskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleyskreations Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 1:46am
post #5 of 6

I also use crisco on my surface that I roll it on and have never had a problem. I use Satin Ice exclusively icon_smile.gif

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 5:10am
post #6 of 6

I've actually started mixing satin ice half and half with mmf... helps with the taste of the satin ice... which isn't bad to begin with, and helps with the tearing too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%