Dying Fondant And Gumpaste Red

Decorating By lr17 Updated 23 Aug 2010 , 5:30pm by kakeladi

lr17 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 6

So I've been wanting to make red roses and red fondant on a cake, but whenever I try to die the fondant or gumpaste with the wilton dies (the ones that are like jelly) it just turns bright pink. How do I get it to a deep red?

5 replies
IceQueen29 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 1:16am
post #2 of 6

I use the AmeriColors Super Red and it works great! HTH

Motta Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 6

I agree - Super Red from Americolor is great. BUT, it's still hard to get white fondant a good, true red without applying a lot of color. I would recommend that you buy red fondant and save yourself some trouble.

I've also been successful in using hot pink fondant and adding red to make it a strawberry shade of red.

allaboutcakeuk Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 6

I agree with Motta - buy some ready made fondant in red - if you want to make flowers buy the gumpaste already red or add some tylose to the red fondant. I use sugarflair paste colours in poppy red and christmas red if I need to colour some from scratch

yummy Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 6

A couple of weeks ago someone here said she gets red by tinting the white using Americolor egg yellow then adding one drop of fuschia then red.

kakeladi Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 5:30pm
post #6 of 6

Deep, dark colors are hard to work obtain.
One cannot expect instant perfection of a dark, deep shade of any color.
Red is a very difficult color to obtain. There is only so much the makers of food colors can do legally.
As others have said, it sometimes will take a combination of tints to reach what you are looking for.
Fondant and/or gumpaste are different than buttercream - easier really icon_smile.gif
If you tint the white fondant/gp (or buttercream, too) either yellow, pink, or orange it will take far less *SUPER* red to get a nice red shade.
And........do use any food coloring that has the word 'super' on it for those intense colors.
Make a special effort to get AmeriColor gels whenever you are ready to replace your colorsicon_smile.gif I also have had excellent results from Cake Craft brand and any liquid gels.

Oh, and one more thing: Don't be too concerned if you don't come up with the perfect shade. Fondant/gp flowers are very much improved when petal dusts are used to highlight them. It will bring out the color used to make the petals. When you look at nature, you find the colors are seldom perfect, totally the same. There is usually slight shade/tone differences. Using dusts gives you that look.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%