What I Could Do Better

Decorating By ncsmorris Updated 18 Aug 2010 , 9:14pm by ncsmorris

ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 7

I wouldn't necessarily call this a *disaster*. In fact, the bride seemed to like it. I, however, am not pleased. The bride asked for stacked 2-tier, basketweave and a bunch of those silly RI flowers we learned in the Wilton course. This is what she got, for sure. It's not my style so I don't know if that's why I'm not pleased, or if I've missed some design elements. I stayed up so late working on it. Then I added a flower topper, hated it, took it off. I added a basket on top, which I liked but then thought it looked too much like Easter. Finally I went to the attached design. Anyway, any help is appreciated! TIA

PS...This was my first wedding cake so I know it will only get better!

6 replies
ncsmorris Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 7
CWIL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWIL Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 7

What I would have done differently is add more flowers to your cascade and DEFINITELY add leaves. This is not my style either, but if that's what they want, that's what they get!!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 8:19pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsmorris

Anyway, any help is appreciated! TIA

Not sure what it is you want help with. You say the bride liked it, which to me means the event has passed. And you say it's not your style. So you probably don't want help in perfecting it for future orders. icon_confused.gif

ncsmorris Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 7

LOL I see your confusion icon_wink.gif I'm not saying I wouldn't do it again for someone...just that I can't fall in love with it because I don't like the style. If I get another request for it, I'd like to do a good job with it!

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 8:45pm
post #6 of 7

If the bride liked it I would say your job is done. I know what you mean about not liking it because it's not your style, that has happened to me before too.

Just a few artistic comments if you were to do a similar style again

Add more flowers

Add leaves (you wouldn't believe the difference this makes)

Possibly the bottom border in a coordinating color with one of the flowers

Lastly there seems to be a scale issue for me. The flowers are very small compared to the size of the basketweave. Possibly a smaller tip for the weave and/or larger flowers (at least a few). For example your roses and maybe mums could have been a little larger.

I want to note that your cake shape looks great. Nice level cakes, even stacking and good choice of sizes.

Hope that helps!

ncsmorris Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 9:14pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks nonilm, I think you're exactly right about the scale of the flowers. Or at the very least the fact that they're all more or less the same size. Something I didn't notice but something I think will help.

Definitely will add leaves next time. I just wasn't thinking at all!

Thanks everyone who replied icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%