Could Expired Baking Soda Cause This? Mushy Inside...

Baking By JaeRodriguez Updated 22 Aug 2010 , 1:26am by auzzi

JaeRodriguez Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 2

So I have been trying out other chocolate cake recipes and I used 3 new recipes. Every one of the batters I have made this week have been bubbly. Which is including my go to chocolate cake the epicurious double chocolate layer cake.

The toothpick came out clean, some bubbles in the surface, and then I take them out of the pans and they are so wet that they sink INTO the cooling rack (as in into the little squares on there) and then I try to get them off the rack and it rips apart and I notice that the crumb is different then it usually is, very air bubbly! But then I poke at the crumb and it mushes down into itself. I hope some of that makes sense.

Now, I am using bilo brand flour, and it looks a little thicker then the regular brand, and I looked at my baking soda and realized it's expired, but I made the Hershey's chocolate cake and it came out ok and I can't remember if it had air bubbles or not...

Does anyone have any clue what might be going on?

1 reply
auzzi Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 1:26am
post #2 of 2

Looking at the Epicurious "double chocolate layer cake"

1. it has both baking powder and baking soda/buttermilk as it raising agents

2. if the baked cake has baked-in bubbles in it, then the raising action of the baking soda/buttermilk had started before the cake was placed in the oven

3. if the raising action already started before it was in the oven baking, then the cake crumb is holey and it easily collapses

Baking soda expires - not because it goes off - but because it absorbs moisture, etc, from the environment. Thus it does not work as well. Yours works.

It would appear that there is a time-lapse between mixing-pouring-baking that's causing the "bubbly problem". A bit quicker with your actions may sort the problem ..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%