Disco Dust Question

Decorating By adrienh1 Updated 2 Apr 2011 , 2:01pm by BlakesCakes

adrienh1 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 7:57pm
post #1 of 14

I am experimenting with disco dust and I do not know how to get it to adhere to my fondant decor. I've tried mixing it with a little vodka, but it does not seem to be working. What am I doing wrong?

13 replies
ChristieC Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 14

Spray or paint the area you want to adhere the dust to with your vodkaa nd then apply the dust to the area. I use a blush type brush to sprinkle it over the whole cake. Hope this helps.

FullHouse Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 14

I mixed it with Everclear and it worked just fine. I did do 2 coats to get full coverage.

peg818 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 7:50pm
post #4 of 14

Disco Dust is not edible and shouldn't be spread all over the cake! It is very finely ground plastic.

Now if you want some sparkle that is fda approved you can add crystal colors pearl dust to either vodka or everclear and paint with that. Or you can use is dry to add a lighter shimmer.

Echooo3 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 9:39pm
post #5 of 14

Seriously Disco Dust is not edible? I just used it on cookies I made.

BlakesCakes Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 9:49pm
post #6 of 14
Originally Posted by Echooo3

Seriously Disco Dust is not edible? I just used it on cookies I made.

Yep, seriously.............it's for "decoration only", finely ground plastic glitter.

It's not toxic, but that doesn't make it edible.

It just means that if it touches food, or is accidentally ingested, it shouldn't make someone sick.

I'd balk at eating something covered in ground up plastic and I doubt that if I disclosed that to a person eating my baked goods, they'd be very happy about it, either. icon_cool.gif


TexasSugar Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 9:49pm
post #7 of 14

What does it say on the container?

If it says non toxic then it really should be used on parts that are not going to be eaten. It means that it shouldn't hurt you (think elmers glue) but isn't really meant to be eaten.

I do have some glittery cake dusts (thinking they are like disco dust) that say on the container non-edible.

sugarMomma Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 2:38am
post #8 of 14

I've always wondered why they would bother making non-edible decorations and market them for cake, when cake is meant to be eaten.

If it is only to decorate things that are not meant to be eaten, then why not use regular glitter or other non-edible decos.

leslieannec Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 5:22pm
post #9 of 14

I've noticed that a lot of things that are not FDA approved as edible are sold as edible in other countries. i.e. dragees and edible glitter. I don't know if disco dust is the same thing though. I don't think it would hurt anyone in small amounts, but it might not be the type of thing that you want to spread all over a cake.

I've used the edible glitter (from the UK) in small amounts to add sparkle, but never to cover something. When sticking it to fondant, I misted the fondant with water to make it stick, but you do have to be careful what you are wetting in order to avoid turning your cake into a mass of gummy grossness.

Lyndseyb52 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 11:53pm
post #10 of 14

This is what a uk cake decorating supplier says about it...

We regularly receive questions about edible glitter, and thought it might be useful to add some information for you!

The brand of edible glitter we offer is a non toxic, inert substance which doesn't flavour the food or bleed colour. It's not digested by the body, but passes through your system harmlessly. It has no calorific value, and is suitable for vegetarians. It contains additives which are usually harmless but on very rare occasions, as with any food item, allergic reactions may occur.

Because it's not broken down by the body's digestive system, we recommend that you use it lightly. It's so sparkly, you won't need much anyway! The glitter can be applied dry, or you can dampen the cake or icing first, either with water or egg white. The glitter can be sprinkled using fingers, or you can use a brush to create patterns. You can also use a stencil, or a piece of card to give straight edges. Try blending several colours of glitter together- you can achieve colour gradients and rainbows are possible.

Each pot of edible cake glitter weighs approximately 14g gross. This is sufficient for around 50 cupcakes, 30 muffins or 8-10 larger cakes. As mentioned above, use it sparingly- it doesn't require a lot to give a startling effect!

Lyndsey xx

BlakesCakes Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 4:34am
post #11 of 14

Yes, what's edible in the UK vs. the US is interesting.

There are Sugar Flair colors that are OK in the UK and not in the US, and apparently a few of the Wilton colors are not acceptable in the UK. Go figure.

Thanks so much for the supplier's take on "disco dust", Lyndsey. It's the first detailed info I've seen provided specifically by a cake deco entity.

I love the detailed explanation given of the UK edible glitter. It definitely goes to great lengths to avoid describing the exact nature of the product--which, is indeed very finely ground plastic--an inert, flavorless product with no flavor, has no calories, isn't digested, and "is suitable for vegetarians" icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

I prefer my sparkle on edible items to come from natural ingredients like sugars and gum arabic--both OK with vegetarians and non-plastic eaters like myself icon_lol.gif-- I use disco dust on non-edibles only.


ChucKles Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 5:01am
post #12 of 14

We have edible glitter here in Aus. It is different from disco dust(we have that too) in that it is actually edible as it is made from either eggwhites and colour or gelatine and colour.
The little jar it comes in the flakes are quite large for my liking but i grind them up a bit more using the back of a teaspoon, and the effect can be the same as disco dust.
It is a bit more reassuring to use especially if you deliver the cake and leave as even if people do eat it its edible so it wont matter.

I either brush on water or edible glue and sprinkle it on.

I tried to attach a pic but no go, its the choc orange cupcakes with heart cut outs in my photos...

foxymomma521 Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 12:05pm
post #13 of 14

So what is the difference between Disco dust, and any other non-toxic fine glitter sold in craft stores?

BlakesCakes Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 2:01pm
post #14 of 14
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

So what is the difference between Disco dust, and any other non-toxic fine glitter sold in craft stores?

Sadly, nothing that I have found.


Quote by @%username% on %date%