Wilton Fondant

Decorating By Kimmers971 Updated 19 Aug 2010 , 1:50am by kelleyskreations

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 10

I've read a few posts recently that said Wilton has improved the taste of their fondant. Well....I tried it yesterday and it is still gross and has a chemical smell. Now maybe it's because I'm used to better brands and Wilton will always be the bottom level of quality, but it really didn't seem to be any different that when I used to use it a few years ago.

9 replies
tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 10

Good to know.

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 10

I buy wiltons when I have a coupon and just cover dummies with it. I don't like the taste of it, but it is great for dummies.

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 10

Oh yeah, it's perfect for covering dummies or making decorations that won't be eaten but I'd never serve it to anyone. And it's great for practice, which is what we were doing - I was teaching a friend how to work with it. I told her to order Satin Ice or whatever to use on her Mom's cake and please don't serve her the Wilton stuff icon_biggrin.gif

pinklady1356 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklady1356 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 10

whats the better brand to use fondants?

texastj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texastj Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 7:08pm
post #6 of 10

Thanx for the heads up. I never tried it and was thinking about buying since its the only fondant available (atleast that I'm aware of). I have read on other posts that most prefer Fondarific and Satin Ice. And for black fondant I've read that some prefer Duff's. HTH

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks for posting. I was under the impression that the flavor had improved and that now it was edible. Glad I didn't go and waste money on it. I will continue making Michele Foster's fondant, just make it when I have some time and save it for when I need it.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 12:19am
post #8 of 10

I make Michele Foster's too. It stores forever in the freezer.

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 1:17am
post #9 of 10

I tried Duff's the other day for the first time, and it was a little tricky to work with at first, but boy did it taste good!

kelleyskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleyskreations Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 1:50am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy619

I tried Duff's the other day for the first time, and it was a little tricky to work with at first, but boy did it taste good!

I agree that Duff's is a little different. Hard at first then soft to me. But it does have a nice flavor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%