Can Someone Enlighten Me On Smbc

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 18 Aug 2010 , 7:20pm by mindy1204

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 5

I think I am going to try to make some tonight. I have only done regular BC with either 100% shortening or half shortening and half buttercream. I am working on getting licensed and need to start expanding my recipes.

I do not have a candy thermometer, how else can I tell the right temp? Also does this have to be keep in the fridge. I am in Florida and it is very hot and humid. And how long can it be stored?

TIA

4 replies
JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 5

I dont even use a thermometer anymore. I learned that once the egg whites and sugar have heated to a high enough temp, the sugar has completely melted and doesnt feel gritty between your fingers.

Because of the egg whites, i've always kept it refrigerated. I dont make bulk batches, so I never left it more than a week.

HTH & GL!!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 5

I think medium high heat for around 10 minutes is what it takes me. I do highly recommend you purchasing one for your first time. There's a recipe for IMBC I use now and it doesn't require a thermometer and is always great for me.

Store it in the refrigerator, including the cake once iced. If you put the BC in the refrigerator, you need to rewhip it before you use it however, if you are using it within 24 hours of making it, I'd just keep it out (unless your house stays in the upper 70s). To serve the cake, let it warm up about 1-2 hours beforehand.

I freeze my leftover for a few months, pull it out for a few hours when needed, and then rewhip it.

AileenGP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AileenGP Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 5

I've never refrigerated my SMBC prior to icing a cake.. once the egg whites reach 160 deg, they're considered safe..

However, I do refrigerate to firm up before covering the cake in fondant.

ETA: If it is really hot however, I would use a more stable icing that uses shortening. SMBC is really soft compared to other BC recipes.

If I HAD to use SMBC in hot weather, I would put it in the fridge to keep cool but let it warm up before beating it again.

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 5

I won't use it during the summer months. I won't even use the butter in my BC during summer it is too hot here. Thanks for the advice if I get a chance I will go get a thermometer if not I will just wing it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%