Trying To Figure Out Fondant

Decorating By Monna7122 Updated 20 Aug 2010 , 3:15pm by mommakabob

Monna7122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monna7122 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 6

I'm working on doing my first fondant covered cake. I am a big bc user. I have played with the fondant for figurines and detail stuff but not as far as covering the cake. Is there something you should brush or spray the fondant with, once you have covered the cake? Something that makes it stay soft and not crack or to clean up the powder still on it from the kneading and rolling? I use the Wilton Fondant. I do not have a kitchenaid mixer in order to make my own icon_sad.gif Can someone please help!

5 replies
tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 6:25pm
post #2 of 6

You can brush or spray the fondant with vodka. It dries quickly and will give the fondant a nice sheen. It also removes any of that pesky cornstarch or powdered sugar.

Awe...you're in Texas. Say hello to Texas for me.

illustreeous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
illustreeous Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 6

I spray my bc coat with water or smear some piping gel on the coat before covering with fondant. The excess powder from kneading & rolling tends to be rubbed out when finishing the cover with a smoothing tool. ONE thing with fondant.. work fairly quick, & CLEAN! tools and all fondant is like a devil sponge lol it attracts all kinds of nonesense! (well at least when i wrk with it :[ )

Monna7122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monna7122 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 6

Tastyart.... Yes mam, definately in Texas. And my buttercream issues with Texas heat and humidity are really why I'm trying the fondant, LOL.

Thank You both for your help. I'm hoping my first attempt works out well. icon_biggrin.gif

anxietyattack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anxietyattack Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 1:33am
post #5 of 6

Yup what they said.

Oh, just a thought! I don't use my mixer for my fondant. Just a wooden spoon and a lot of bicep icon_smile.gif You should give it a try. MMF is soooooo much tastier than wilton and IMHO easier to use.

mommakabob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakabob Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:15pm
post #6 of 6

I also use MMF and I will never use Wilton again because the taste is so bad. I don't spray anything on top but you can smooth with your hands after using the fondant smoother and the oil from your hands with give it a slight shine and also remove the excess powders. I've never tried painting it with vodka, but I'm gonna give it a shot! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%