Help With Bbq Grill Cake

Decorating By EvArt Updated 22 Aug 2010 , 5:42pm by yums

EvArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvArt Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 6

I need to make a cake that resembles a BBQ grill by Saturday. I've searched other such cakes and am pulling a little of this and a little of that from them to make my own version. However, I'm kind of stumped on the actual wire grill part. In one of the ideas I pulled up, they used wooden dowels painted silver - I don't want to do that. Another piped the lines on - Not real straight. Another rolled fondant logs which was ok.

Any suggestions?

5 replies
cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 6

I painted spaghetti with silver lustre dust mixed with vodka for the grill grate. I baked the cake in an aluminum pan so it would look like one of those disposable grills, and it made for less work because I didn't have to decorate the sides.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 6

I used the lollipop sticks, painted silver and hotglued together and LEDs , black gumpaste for the coal, hid the LEDs under the coal, it really looked, as if the coal was burning

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 2:14pm
post #4 of 6
nutcase68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nutcase68 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 11:23am
post #5 of 6

I used a round cooling rack. I had made one out of color flow, but my burgers and weenies were to heavy and broke it.

yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 6

I thought the best option was the dowels painted. I tried spaghetti and royal icing but both broke. And i couldn't get the spaghetti to hold color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%