Tiered Fake Cake

Decorating By roxie007 Updated 19 Aug 2010 , 1:05pm by Chasey

roxie007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxie007 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 5

Doing a tiered fake cake for my first time..i have covered cake dummies with fondant before so I am not worried about that, however the bride has requested a slice of real cake in the bottom tier, for the cake cutting ceremony.

I was going to just slice out a piece of the styrofoam, and place a slice of real cake in place of it...can anyone give me some tips on this??

She has sent a pic of a gorgeous cake (attached) for inspiration - i have let her know that I cannot (and won't) replicate someone elses work, but I will keep it to a similar theme (eyelet lace, pearls, etc..)

Would also love some tips on getting the scalloped edges along the bottom.....

Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

4 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 12:22pm
post #2 of 5

Why not make the bottom tier real cake?? I've done that before and used dummies for the other tiers...but I've never "cut a slice out" of the dummy and inserted real cake. I'm curious now if anyone has ever done that.

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 12:38pm
post #3 of 5

I agree, bottom tier all cake. Seems a lot of messing about and you still got to bake cake to get the slice,and I assume you charging for the wastage? So therefore they might as well have a real tier and have something for them and their guests to eat.

mocakiss86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakiss86 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 12:45pm
post #4 of 5

I agree or keep the bottom fake and have them cut a upper tier for the picture. It doesn't matter for a picture and no one will remember which layer was cut. Most of my brides and grooms cut higher up anyway, rarely ever the bottom tier. Hope this helps.

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 1:05pm
post #5 of 5

So true! We cut the middle tier for the pictures. I think making a tier that size would be agreeable to the bride and easy enough for you instead of making a larger bottom tier real.

Did she think she would only be paying for one slice of cake plus the dummy tiers? icon_lol.gif

Just don't let her cut the top one! That always confuses me when couples slice into that top one. I feel like screaming NO! that is for the first anniversary...as if the caterer made a mistake when she guided them to cut that one. icon_razz.gif (I know not everyone saves that tier. But I'm traditional!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%