Fake Cake Covered In Fondant. What Should I Charge.

Decorating By Creative_Cookies_Cakes Updated 18 Aug 2010 , 9:28pm by BlakesCakes

Creative_Cookies_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_Cookies_Cakes Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 3

I and not sure what I should charge. I charge $2 a serving for fondant covered cakes. But the bride wants to get the cake from someone else and just have me do a 3 tier fake cake covered in fondant and a simple ribbon with a bow at the bottom of each tier. The cake is the easy part. Any suggestions. I have attached a picture of the cake that she wants. What size do you think each tier is? Thanks for your imput it is greatly appreciated!!

2 replies
kellymarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellymarie Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 4:35pm
post #2 of 3

I can't see an attachment- but I've always followed IndyDebi's advice and used the 30% rule- fake cakes are 30% less than a real cake. So, charge her whatever you would for the cake if it was real, minus that 30%..... It takes the same time (sometimes longer) to decorate a fake cake, and depending on how cheaply you can get the Styrofoam the only cost difference to you is the buttercream filling.

Don't sell yourself short! Charge appropriately icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 3

My general rule of thumb is 80% the cost of a real cake with no expectation of having the dummy cake(s) returned.

If the arrangement is to have the decorated dummies returned, then it becomes a rental situation and that would involve deposits and damage assessment.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%