Got My First Cake Order!!!

Decorating By shanney54 Updated 23 Aug 2010 , 3:19pm by traiaberg

shanney54 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 28

And I'm so excited!!! icon_biggrin.gif I just have a question. lol This the cake that I am using as inspiration, whaat size should I make the tiers to serve 25? TIA!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lerevecakes/4720554744/in/faves-shanney54/

27 replies
dmo4ab Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 9:17pm
post #2 of 28

Hi shanney54,

I'd use a 6" and 8" - that would serve 32 according to the Wilton party serving guide. That's probably as close to 25 as you can get for them.

BTW - Greetings from just down the road in Anniston, AL. I've been wondering if there were any more folks from sticky hot east central AL on here! Great to meet you!

Good Luck with your first cake!

4realLaLa Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 9:41pm
post #3 of 28

Congrats! I'm glad for you. I would also make an 8" and 6". Good luck and post pics!

cylstrial Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 28

That's a beautiful cake that you'll be making! Congrats!

bethasd Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 10:55pm
post #5 of 28

You could also do 8" and 4" if you have the pans (about 26-28 servings I think). That crown looks like it wraps around the upper tier so you might want a little extra decorating space.

mickey35 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 10:55pm
post #6 of 28

Congrats and good luck. Be sure to give yourself ample time to pay attention to the details.

neelycharmed Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 11:28pm
post #7 of 28

congrats! icon_smile.gif
and what a lovely cake inspiration for your first cake.
Jodi

shanney54 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 11:29pm
post #8 of 28

Awe, thanks you guys for all the replies!!! I came back to check and see if any one had replied, but I couldn't find the thread til I looked in my forum posts! I was thinking about doing an 8" and 6" so it's good to know that I'm on the right track! I'm making it for a friend's little girl's bday next month so I've got plenty of time!

shanney54 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 11:35pm
post #9 of 28

Hey dmo4ab! I think that you're the closest one on here that I've seen! lol I saw some women from Huntsville and Auburn, but not really in my area. We should get together and talk cake sometime! That would make my day! icon_smile.gif

The_Caketress Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 12:35am
post #10 of 28

5 and 7 would work well . Congrats!

cakesdelight Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 1:25am
post #11 of 28

CONGRATS ON UR FIRST CAKE ORDER!!!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif MAKE IT THE BEST YOU CAN AND ALWAYS KEEP A SMILE ON YOUR FACE EVEN IF U WANT TO LET OUT A LIL'SWEAR NOW&THEN.... TAKE CARE & HAPPY DECORATING!

SANDY

Redsoxbaker Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 1:24pm
post #12 of 28

Congratulations! Good luck and please post a picture for us thumbs_up.gif

Cakesue Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 2:33pm
post #13 of 28

Congrats! I'd go with th 6 and 8 too because ... who dosn't like leftovers? Just beware, it's addictive. I love caking and love and hate challenges. Post pix.

ChilliPepper Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 5:35pm
post #14 of 28

Hope you have a whole load of fun with your first cake. And a little swear word now and again doesn't do any harm if you need to release some tension! Enjoy!

CP x

pattycakes55d Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 9:11pm
post #15 of 28

Congratulations on your first cake !!!!! It is such a pretty cake that you'll be making. I find the details like the silver beads would be important to me to space evenly. Can't wait to see pictures. Good luck!

lemonpuppyseed Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 9:17pm
post #16 of 28

Have fun! It's a cute cake. I'm sure you'll do great with it. Congrats!!

DetailsByDawn Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:20am
post #17 of 28

Personally, I like an inch or more around the cake for decorating - I think I'd do an 8" and a 5", so you have more room for the crown. Also think carefully about whether you'll be wrapping the crown or making it first and letting it dry, then setting it over the tier - your sizing will be affected, but it will give the option of removing all those layers of fondant and letting the parents keep the crown. Lots of luck, I'm sure you'll do great!!

bmarlow001 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:30am
post #18 of 28

Cute cake! are you going to use this as inspiration or are you making a replica> I would do a 8 adn 6 as well but you won't have as much space around the 6 inch as you see here I don't think.. not sizes I use a whole lot but if I remember correctly there is only like less than an inch up there

tweeter_bug98 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:44am
post #19 of 28

Congrats on your first cake order! I cannot wait to see how it turns out. icon_smile.gif

shanney54 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 5:23am
post #20 of 28

DetailsByDawn you brought up a really good point! I hadn't thought about that! Now that I look at it doesn't look centered but that extra inch would give me enough room for the tiara and the little princess figurine.

More than likely I'll be a replica but I may try to do a royal icing tiara. If I do that I'll either make an extra one or make one in fondant or gumpaste. I'm not going to cover it in fondant because I don't think that the birthday girl would like it. I thought about doing it in MMF but I haven't made or tasted it before. How well does it hold color? That red is going to be fun to make!!!

Could someone tell me how they got the 5 on top? I figure it's fondant/gumpaste but how do they get it to stand up?

Thanks y'all for all the help and words of encouragement!!! icon_biggrin.gif

akgirl10 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 6:05am
post #21 of 28

Cute cake! Congrats on your first order. If you can lay your hands on some premade red fondant, that would be the way to go. Red is so hard to color (black too).

Can't wait to see your cake!

Hollandy Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 10:28am
post #22 of 28

Congrats on your first order and good luck!

DetailsByDawn Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:19pm
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanney54

DetailsByDawn you brought up a really good point! I hadn't thought about that! Now that I look at it doesn't look centered but that extra inch would give me enough room for the tiara and the little princess figurine.

More than likely I'll be a replica but I may try to do a royal icing tiara. If I do that I'll either make an extra one or make one in fondant or gumpaste. I'm not going to cover it in fondant because I don't think that the birthday girl would like it. I thought about doing it in MMF but I haven't made or tasted it before. How well does it hold color? That red is going to be fun to make!!!

Could someone tell me how they got the 5 on top? I figure it's fondant/gumpaste but how do they get it to stand up?

Thanks y'all for all the help and words of encouragement!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I only use MMF and it holds colour well. It tastes of very sweet marshmallows, so kids generally LOVE it and fight over the pieces! You could get some premade red fondant, but you don't really need much, so it probably wouldn't be worth it (Duff's make a beautiful red and it tastes great, but it takes a lot of time to dry.) For the number on top, fondant, gumpaste or a mix of the two would works great. You can use an extruder or just roll it by hand. Once it's shaped, let it dry for a good couple of days. In this case, the decorator used a ball of fondant as a base for the number. There is probably a skewer attached at the bottom as well, just for extra support.

I did a fondant crown recently (it's the most recent pic in my photos) and I just let it dry around a 5" can - it took about a day and a half before I could paint it - it was actually fairly easy. Sorry this was so long & I hope it helped! Lots of luck to you!!!!

Cakesue Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 4:54pm
post #24 of 28

I've done several numbers and the ones with the round bottoms are the tough ones. For the fives I use my excruder (half fondant and gumpaste) then I usually put in a wire , feed it thought part of the curve, bend outside of number to create straight part(leave fairly long, going into cake (wire is dipped and covered in white chocolate before insertion ) Then laying on parchment paper on cardboard covered in a dusting of cornstarch. Then I design and shape the number Leave to dry for 1- 2 days. This five looks like it was sitting in the ball and maybe attached with royal icing. you can do this by supporting the five until the royal icing drys. Hope this helps!

pinklady1356 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 7:05pm
post #25 of 28

Good Luck and please post pictures! Anyone from Louisiana icon_sad.gif

summersusu Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 12:23am
post #26 of 28

Yeah congrats!....I agree, with all ppost. I would use either 8 and 6, 8 and 4, or 5 and 7 will work..good luck!

lab2965 Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 1:43am
post #27 of 28

Congrats!!! I can't wait for my first official "paid" order!!
The cake is gorgeous and I'm sure you're going to do a great job.
Good luckicon_smile.gif

traiaberg Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 3:19pm
post #28 of 28

Nice cake choice for a little girl she will Love it and Congrats on your first cake order! How exciting Yes you will have a few choice words to sputter once you get into it. But that is okay it will be Fun Post Pics Please!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%