Help Please With Sponge!!

Baking By marksbananas Updated 18 Aug 2010 , 4:13pm by MikeRowesHunny

marksbananas Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all i keep making my sponge and they come out beautiful, except if i go to my 8" tin or above, it just sinks in the middle, PLEASE can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong.
285g Self-raising flour
2 teaspoons (12.5ml) Baking powder
285g Margarine
285g Caster Sugar
4 Eggs
and cook on 180 for 25-30 minutes, please i am getting desperate.
Also while you are here to use wilton character tins i have been using pound cake, can anyone recommend something else as a few people have commented that the cake is bad as it is so yellow, in the uk dont thnk people are used to pund cake is there anything else i can use
Thank you in advance! Been banging my head against the wall to try to solve this. Thank you

4 replies
HannahLass Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 5

I'm in the uk too and I use a madeira recipe and have had no problems and everone loves it. There are several recipes on here and all over the web just try one til you get one you like. With a normal victoria sponge which your recipe looks like I'm surprised it hold up to the icing assuming you use sugarpaste that is as they are really soft. madeira is moist and dense and just works well for me.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 3:30pm
post #3 of 5

I highly recommend Nigella Lawson's Birthday Buttermilk Cake :

I always use an inverted metal flower nail in the centre of all my cakes 8in and bigger - it helps cook the cake at an even rate. If your cakes are sinking in the middle, they are not done, or you are opening the door too much. My cakes take at least 40 mins at that size and temp, often my 3in deep tins take over an hour! You might want to try baking at 170 and extending your baking time.

Hope that helps!

matthewkyrankelly Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 5

Take a look at the Cake Bible. It has tips on changing the leavening depending on the size of the cake. It might help.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 4:13pm
post #5 of 5
Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly

Take a look at the Cake Bible. It has tips on changing the leavening depending on the size of the cake. It might help.

Just an FYI, Rose Levy-Berenbaum states that her tips/tricks/recipes do not translate well across the pond as basic flours etc are very different from those in the US.

Quote by @%username% on %date%