Help Co Worker Wants Spicy Chocolate Cupcakes Where To Start

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 20 Aug 2010 , 12:21am by cakesbyleila

sweettreat101 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 7

I have a co worker that wants me to make spicy chocolate cupcakes. I plan on using a box mix. I want to do half regular and half spicy. What would you use such as Cayanne and how much do you think I should add? I'm hoping someone has done this before I have no clue where to start.

6 replies
jstoops08 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 7

I've never made a spicy chocolate cake but I do remember seeing a recipe for one. It isn't a box mix, but maybe use it as a guide line?

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chipotle_flourless_chocolate_cake/

deah Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 7

I have made that recipe! Wonderful. But, I don't think it would make good cupcakes. Really dense and doesn't rise much.

I would start with your best chocolate cake recipe and add chipotle and cayenne. You're looking for what I call a back door heat (hits after you taste the chocolate.) You don't want anything extremely hot, just enough to know it is there.

Ruth0209 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 7

Google it and start looking at recipes. People don't usually use cayenne in cakes. Most recipes I've seen use ancho.

Alfiesmom Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 7

i just inquired about same thing. On here (CC), under recipes, under Mexican, search "chocolate chili cake". I made a small cake & cupcakes (from the recipe, which uses a box mix). I would next time substitute some or all of the water for brewed coffee and add 1 tsp of vanilla. overall, they were delicious and everybody liked them. the cayenne "bite" hits you after.

tesso Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 12:09am
post #6 of 7

you can also use ginger to get that spicy bite.

cakesbyleila Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 12:21am
post #7 of 7

I add a tablespoon of chiloplte pepper to my regular chocolate recipe. I've never tried with a box mix but I'm sure it would work. Yummy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%