Help - Making A Sheet Cake Look Taller

Decorating By harbortowncake Updated 18 Aug 2010 , 4:49pm by lam159

harbortowncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harbortowncake Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 12:29pm
post #1 of 5

I have to make a couple of sheet cakes for an informal outdoor reception that is for about 150 - 200 people. I can decorate as I wish - just make sure that one of the cakes is "CHOCOLATE" (groom's mother's request). I would like to try that diamond impression on the sides but the cake is only 2" tall - can I set the cake on top of a styrofoam base and then frost the whole thing. If so, how would I handle the covering of the foam - and should I inform them ahead of time (before cutting). Has anyone ever tried this?

4 replies
FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 12:32pm
post #2 of 5

Why not just make less sheet cakes and make them each be 2-layer (4") cakes? One 2 layer cake at 4" high will give you the same # of servings as two 1 layer cakes 2" high. Of course, if they are paying you for 2" high sheet cakes, then that is what they should get, decorated accordingly.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 12:40pm
post #3 of 5

Do two 10x10 or two 12x12s. You'll get the height you need to do your diamond impressions.

harbortowncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harbortowncake Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 12:51pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks Fullhouse, I thought about the stacking - but they wanted the 2 cakes, so will probably leave as is and why make more work - just so I can try out that "diamond impression" - will try that out on something else.

lam159 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lam159 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 5

when i did my daughter's graduation cake...i used 2 12X16 cakes and torted them into layers. I think that is what fullhouse is talking about. I needed the height on mine for decorations as well. It worked out great. If your clients want 2 cakes that's fine, you can still tort them. You will still have enough for serving, maybe even more because they won't need as big of a piece. That is what happened with me anyways. The final cake had 4 layers, so i cut the pieces smaller. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%