Help - Making A Sheet Cake Look Taller

Decorating By harbortowncake Updated 18 Aug 2010 , 4:49pm by lam159

harbortowncake Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 12:29pm
post #1 of 5

I have to make a couple of sheet cakes for an informal outdoor reception that is for about 150 - 200 people. I can decorate as I wish - just make sure that one of the cakes is "CHOCOLATE" (groom's mother's request). I would like to try that diamond impression on the sides but the cake is only 2" tall - can I set the cake on top of a styrofoam base and then frost the whole thing. If so, how would I handle the covering of the foam - and should I inform them ahead of time (before cutting). Has anyone ever tried this?

4 replies
FullHouse Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 12:32pm
post #2 of 5

Why not just make less sheet cakes and make them each be 2-layer (4") cakes? One 2 layer cake at 4" high will give you the same # of servings as two 1 layer cakes 2" high. Of course, if they are paying you for 2" high sheet cakes, then that is what they should get, decorated accordingly.

ddaigle Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 12:40pm
post #3 of 5

Do two 10x10 or two 12x12s. You'll get the height you need to do your diamond impressions.

harbortowncake Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 12:51pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks Fullhouse, I thought about the stacking - but they wanted the 2 cakes, so will probably leave as is and why make more work - just so I can try out that "diamond impression" - will try that out on something else.

lam159 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 5

when i did my daughter's graduation cake...i used 2 12X16 cakes and torted them into layers. I think that is what fullhouse is talking about. I needed the height on mine for decorations as well. It worked out great. If your clients want 2 cakes that's fine, you can still tort them. You will still have enough for serving, maybe even more because they won't need as big of a piece. That is what happened with me anyways. The final cake had 4 layers, so i cut the pieces smaller. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%