Hostess Cream Filling?

Baking By bryanrobh Updated 1 Sep 2010 , 6:03pm by mandyloo

bryanrobh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bryanrobh Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 3:25am
post #1 of 11

Does anyone have a good recipe for the cream filling that is used in the Hostess cakes or even the Hostess cakes like a Ding Dong or Twinkie? I have seen recipes but I have no idea if they taste like the real thing or not. I was hoping someone actually had a recipe they used and it tasted like the real deal. I want to make a giant Hostess Ding Dong or a giant Twinkie. Any recipes for either the cake or the filling would be great thanks in advance.

10 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 4:50am
post #2 of 11

I don't have one but google "copycat recipe.... " for anything you want and then look for recipes that have been rated. Also great for famous restaurant recipes.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 11

I made this filling with chocolate cupcakes this summer and they tasted just like Hostess Cupcakes.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7407/gramas-cupcake-filling

scp1127 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 10:40pm
post #4 of 11

pmarks0, would you mind sharing the chocolate recipe you used to make the cupcakes?

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 2:13am
post #5 of 11

Wow, I never would have thought of a Hostess cupcake filling as being the 'real deal'! icon_biggrin.gif . Let us know if you find what you're looking for. Since it would be room temp stable, it could be handy to use!

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 2:18am
post #6 of 11

scp1127 - It's from Cupcakes From the Cake Mix Doctor

1 package plain devil's food cake mix
3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350.
Place the cake mix, cocoa powder, buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Stop the machine and scrape down the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scraping down the sides if needed. The batter should look thick and well combined. Spoon or scoop a heaping 1/4 cup batter into each lined cup, filling it two thirds of the way full.
Bake 17-20 minutes, until they spring back when lightly pressed with your finger.
Cool pans on rack for 5 minutes then remove cupcakes from pan and cool for 15 minutes.

She says you'll get 24 cupcakes. I think I got 20 but I may have filled the cups fuller. I filled them using the filling in the link I posted above and I frosted them with SugarShack's buttercream icing.

scp1127 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 4:18am
post #7 of 11

pmarks0, thank you. I make lots of baked goods for my 10th grade daughter to take to school. I'm not licensed yet and her classmates are a great source for giving away all of my baking. They will love these.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 12:52pm
post #8 of 11

I made the giant ding dong cake using this recipe from CC.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/715/giant-ding-dong-cake

Not sure how "real" it was, but it sure was a hit! HTH

cakemaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker2 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 5:56pm
post #9 of 11

This is on the King Arthur Flour website:

2 Tbsp all purpose flour
1/2 Cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
4 Tbsp salted butter
4 Tbsp shortening
1/2 Cup granulated sugar

In a small saucepan cook flour and milk over medium heat until a paste forms. Stir constantly and do not let it brown. Remove from heat and let
cool 1 minute. Add vanilla and stir until smooth. Press a piece of plastic wrap down on the surface of the paste to avoid forming a skin and set aside to cool completely.

In the bowl of your mixer, beat butter, shortening and sugar until fluffy, scraping bowl to incorporate ingredients. Add cooled flour/milk mixture and continue to beat 5 minutes on medium high speed until smooth and creamy. Store at room temperature 3-4 days. Hope this is what you're looking for icon_smile.gif

cakemaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker2 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 5:56pm
post #10 of 11

This is on the King Arthur Flour website:

2 Tbsp all purpose flour
1/2 Cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
4 Tbsp salted butter
4 Tbsp shortening
1/2 Cup granulated sugar

In a small saucepan cook flour and milk over medium heat until a paste forms. Stir constantly and do not let it brown. Remove from heat and let
cool 1 minute. Add vanilla and stir until smooth. Press a piece of plastic wrap down on the surface of the paste to avoid forming a skin and set aside to cool completely.

In the bowl of your mixer, beat butter, shortening and sugar until fluffy, scraping bowl to incorporate ingredients. Add cooled flour/milk mixture and continue to beat 5 minutes on medium high speed until smooth and creamy. Store at room temperature 3-4 days. Hope this is what you're looking for icon_smile.gif

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 6:03pm
post #11 of 11

To me, this tastes just like twinkie filling. I leave out the oreos, and it's perfect!

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/5773/oreo-filling

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%