Does Size Matter?

Business By fl_cake_lover Updated 21 Aug 2010 , 5:44pm by AmandaLP

fl_cake_lover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fl_cake_lover Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 3:08am
post #1 of 9

I got my cake decorating education from Wilton and of course bought everything they carried - which were the 2" pans. Now that I've learned there is more out there, like Fat Daddio pans, does baking from a 2", 3" or 4" pan really make a difference? I'm starting my own business by renting space at a deli and need to buy more pans. Should I go for the higher sides? For those who have been in the biz a lot longer, which do you prefer?

Thanks for your help!

8 replies
The_Caketress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Caketress Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 3:19am
post #2 of 9

It depends if you bake layer by layer? If so 2 inch is fine. If you like to torte each cake to get two layers than a 3 inch pans works well.

fl_cake_lover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fl_cake_lover Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 3:24am
post #3 of 9

Yes, I do like to torte my cakes. Thanks! You know you love cakes when you're excited about buying pans!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 9

I have an 8x3 in pan that I use alot when I want a nice quick cake and just want to use one cake mix. All the rest of my pans are 2in tall pans. I torte all my cakes, no matter what size I baked from.

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 9

I have both. 3" are great when you want a quick cake, torte once and fill and it's a nice height. Generally though, I use 2" pans, and layer them.

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 8:01pm
post #6 of 9

Well you know what they say, it's not the size of the ship, it's the motion of the..............

Oh. The size of the cake......icon_redface.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist icon_lol.gif

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 10:09pm
post #7 of 9

you can put a "collar" on your 2 inch pans to bake them taller

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 1:41am
post #8 of 9

for me its brand. I have 2" for celebrations and 3" for weddings- I make 2- 3" layers for weddings because I like tall tiers.
But ALL of them are Magic Line. It is not size that matters- its BRAND! (not sure how to translate that so my hubby would chuckle, but there you go!)

AmandaLP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaLP Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 5:44pm
post #9 of 9

I use 3 inch pans, because my oven is so small that it is much easier to do an 8x3 pan than two 8x2 pans.

After looking at The Cake Bible and Bakewise, I may start adjusting my baking soda/powder to account for the extra height. But, even without that step, they bake up fine.

If I had a larger oven, I would probably do the 2 inch pans.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%