Does This Bother Anyone Else?

Business By Irish245 Updated 25 Aug 2010 , 11:23pm by indydebi

Irish245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish245 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 2:40am
post #1 of 21

I know I shouldn't complain because I get enough emails as it is but if someone asks for a quote and I email them back and ask them questions to find out exactly what they want (because we all know they say....can I have a cake in a hurry and how much is it?), they email me back and I figure 2 different quotes and even do a little sketch (in this case it was a castle cake)....send it off and then never hear back from them. No thank you but I can't afford it....no thanks but I decided not to get it....nuttin! I guess I was brought up better than that. I've done 7 quotes in the last few days and no answer once I sent them the quote. I can fully understand if they don't want the cake but I was brought up to at least contact a person and thank them anyway. People are just rude!

20 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 2:45am
post #2 of 21

I send out quotes all the time for people who never email back. I don't even pay attention to it, since there are so many people who just shop for price alone (may they enjoy their costco cake). I wouldn't waste any time doing sketches for them, though. If they email with some vague description just email back that you need them to find a picture of something similar so that you can quote them a price.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 2:57am
post #3 of 21

icon_lol.gif i just talked about this in another post.

put this at the end of your emails "In order to book this date, with this quote, I will need contact from you by this "date"

that will weed them out icon_wink.gif and then you are not waiting around

The_Caketress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Caketress Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 2:59am
post #4 of 21

First off, I never give a sketch away without a signed contract and deposit. It only incourages them to bring it to another cake person and ask how much. Personally I don't get offended if I don't hear back because they are not the right client for me. You only want to attract people who love and appreciate your work and it's only natural for someone to shop around. I'm pretty straight up about my prices and how I design cakes in the first email so I don't waste my time or theirs.

cakesdelight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdelight Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 3:22am
post #5 of 21

I don't give anyone a quote or sketch, the only thing they get when I get emails asking for quotes is "In order for us to give you the appropriate quote we need you to call us so that we can get as many details for your cake." and then include your number. If they email again, I simply say the same thing but then I ask if they can reply with a number where the cake decorator can personally contact them.

Don't sweat it, if they are serious they will personally call, if they don't contact you again then you don't need their business.

GOOD LUCK!

SANDY icon_biggrin.gif

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 3:39am
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_hutchcakes

First off, I never give a sketch away without a signed contract and deposit. It only incourages them to bring it to another cake person and ask how much. Personally I don't get offended if I don't hear back because they are not the right client for me. You only want to attract people who love and appreciate your work and it's only natural for someone to shop around. I'm pretty straight up about my prices and how I design cakes in the first email so I don't waste my time or theirs.

I checked out your website & I'm sure you can command those prices, your cakes are stunning works of art!!

The_Caketress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Caketress Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 3:51am
post #7 of 21

Thanks!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 5:26am
post #8 of 21

Just a "Window Shopping Request for a Quote" gets basic info.....

Example:
"Wedding cakes start at $3.50/serving, so a cake for 100 would be $350. Final price depends on style and design. When you're ready to order your cake, give us a call so we can set aside a specific time for your personal no-obligation tasting/consultation appt to talk about your vision for your event!"

I then added my pre-formatted attachments with all the info they would need to determine if I fit in their budget.

These are considered cold calls and the rule of thumb is you knock at 10 doors before you get a yes. That's a 10% return. In 2008, I had a 42% cold call booking rate ... and once I got them in the shop, it was in the 90+% rate. Hubby LUV'D telling his car salesmen co-workers about my booking rate and said, "Those guys would KILL for a sale-rate like that!" icon_lol.gif

But dont' spend a lot of time on detail work for cold calls. That's what the consultation is for.

Irish245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish245 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 1:55pm
post #9 of 21

Thanks everyone! This is the first time I did a sketch (and it was bad hehe) but I never even thought about them taking it to someone else.

As for info...it was definitely very basic. I don't give out a lot of info except prices because I figure that will weed out a lot right away. I can't afford to waste time on people that want Costco prices.

Right after I posted above, I got an email from someone who wanted a cake that served 20....a sheet cake but something very special for per parents' 55th anniversary. AND she needed it for today.....AND she wanted it for $20......I emailed her back and told her I was booked. Let her figure it out on her own that she won't even find that at Walmart here!...and if she does I'm sure it'll be "reeeeal speeeecial" lol

StephW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephW Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 2:35pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish245

Right after I posted above, I got an email from someone who wanted a cake that served 20....a sheet cake but something very special for per parents' 55th anniversary. AND she needed it for today.....AND she wanted it for $20......I emailed her back and told her I was booked. Let her figure it out on her own that she won't even find that at Walmart here!...and if she does I'm sure it'll be "reeeeal speeeecial" lol

LMAO - I am sure her parents will appreciate how much thought and consideration she put into their special cake. Not to mention how she spared no expense! Unbelievable!

mysweetsugar75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysweetsugar75 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 2:35pm
post #11 of 21

IndyDebi - you are so professional! I love all of your postings and cakes, I have even viewed your site where you have the catering.

Your advice is so spot on - please continue posting so us newbies can learn from you! THANK YOU!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 3:03pm
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish245

LMAO - I am sure her parents will appreciate how much thought and consideration she put into their special cake. Not to mention how she spared no expense! Unbelievable!

Yeah, the thought that went into ordering that cake brings tears to your eyes, and not in a good way!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 3:22pm
post #13 of 21

I agree with others, I give a basic price per serving over the phone, same stuff that's on my website. I won't give a final price until we talk out the details. I only do sketches of wedding cakes and the bride will only get one after I get a deposit. I made that mistake once and it won't happen again.

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 9:33pm
post #14 of 21

I got an email the other day for a client looking for a 'special' cake for her husband bday.
I asked the basic question: design, flavor, # of servings, she emailed back: 20 servings; I emailed her again explaining I needed more info to send her a quote and explained: "if you need a buttercream covered cake with NO decorations the price is this $; now IF you need a CUSTOM cake YOU have to let me know what you want on the cake so I can give you a price based on how elaborate this cake will be" (I didn't used the caps btw); anyways, she emails back saying she has no clue and asking me for ideas, I email back saying I'm not sure what her husband would like(WTH???!!!) check out my website maybe you'll get some ideas; she finally emails back saying 'this is getting to complicated'...I never emailed back to her...sorry lady I make cakes, I can't read YOUR mind!!!

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 22 Aug 2010 , 10:21pm
post #15 of 21

This annoys me too! The very least they could do is drop a line saying they were doing something different.

The other thing that annoys me to no end is for someone to call me and say "I looked at your website and I love XXXX, and I need 50 servings. How much will that be?" My prices per serving are clearly stated on my website. If they took the time to look at pictures, I know they looked at my price list. Simple multiplication unless its something over the top. Then they gasp in shock and say "oh, I didn't know it would be that much!" My simply decorated BC stacked cakes are $2/serving. That is the going rate in my area, except for grocery store/Sam's cakes.

As Indydebi says, they are math-dumb!!

Sorry for the rant!!LOL!!

indydebi Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 12:15am
post #16 of 21

Shopgirl, sounds like a sympton of 'grocery store cake shopping' where all they have to do is walk up to the counter and say, "I want a cake ..... chocolate ..... by Friday ..... ummmmmmm....... #15 (pointing to the poster of designs they can choose from)." To have to actually THINK about what they want? Oh pul-leaze! Dont give them a headache!! icon_lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzylynn58

The other thing that annoys me to no end is for someone to call me and say "I looked at your website and I love XXXX, and I need 50 servings. How much will that be?" My prices per serving are clearly stated on my website.

I would ALWAYS respond with "Oh, did you not have a chance to view my pricing page where I have all of that info right there for you?" (Wait for them to hem and haw about how they may or may not have seen it.) I give them a ballpark figure, then ask for their email so I can send them my pricing packet information "..... but in the meantime, check our pricing page."

I SO enjoy conversations like this! dunce.gif

suzylynn58 Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 12:01pm
post #17 of 21

Indydebi, that's what I need to do. I also have clearly stated on my website that the minimum order for a two tiered party cake is 30 servings. But, of course, I get calls for two tiers like "so and so's cake", but I only need about 10 servings. DUH!!!!

And I do understand that many people are struggling right now, but if you can't afford a custom cake, just run to walmart. To a kid, a cake is a cake! But I can't afford to spend a whole day on a cake for $30!!

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 12:14pm
post #18 of 21

When I first started getting requests for info I too made the mistake of going above and beyond with detail ideas, etc when the bottom line is most just want to know what the price of the cake is. I send a pretty generic response. Thanks for contacting me, here's my price ist attached. To move forward I would need to know, how many people, theme of cake, flavor, etc for a more specific quite. If I hear back great, if not I haven;t invested too much time. The pricing guide seems to have saved me a ton of time because instantly customers know the difference between all pricing levels. They are either willing to pay it or not and if not no sketch and design that I spend hours working on will sway them to pay what they were never planning on spending on a cake.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 10:09pm
post #19 of 21

I list my prices on my website, or at least a starting point to give people an idea of a price range they may be looking at. I think this helps save lots of emails asking specifics. So if your fondant covered cakes start at $3 per serving, you might say, STARTS AT $3 per serving. This at least gives them some idea. Just a thought icon_smile.gif

suzylynn58 Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 10:27pm
post #20 of 21

I have that wording on my website, but apparently they can't multiply! LOL!

indydebi Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 11:23pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzylynn58

I have that wording on my website, but apparently they can't multiply! LOL!

People go math-dumb when it comes to a wedding. That's why all of my pricing info packets used phrasing such as:

"$3.50/serving ($350 for cake to serve 100)"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%