How Do I Do A Wedding Sheet Cake

Decorating By Sweetgrl1963 Updated 18 Aug 2010 , 12:56pm by Sweetgrl1963

Sweetgrl1963 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetgrl1963 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 1:20am
post #1 of 4

I am doing a wedding cake in a few weeks, and because of so much detail on 2 tiers , I have decided to use dummies for these tiers. So as a result I will have cake stashed in the kitchen. Question do the sheet cakes need to be multi layers, all my cake tiers are 4 layers, covered in fondanat. should the shetts be 4 layers , and is it ok to just do buttercream with no fondant on these. Thanks, I have never served sheet cakes before. the bride said it does not matter to her as long as there is enough cake.

3 replies
soph917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soph917 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 5:29am
post #2 of 4

Personally I would make it the same height as usual. When I do smaller cakes I do 4 layers of cake, 3 layers of filling and it comes out to 4 inches almost exactly every time. But for sheet cakes I don't torte, and I do 3 layers of cake, 2 of filling. Comes out to the same height for me, almost always. I would nix the fondant on the sheet cake. If the bride doesn't care about that, why do it? To me buttercream tastes much better and would be simpler on the sheet cake. I don't know anyone who prefers the taste of fondant over a good buttercream. Just my opinion.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 5:48am
post #3 of 4

The sheet cake, sometimes called a kitchen cake, should closely approximate the wedding cake in layers, flavors, etc. However, I agree with the "no fondant" thing. No one will care or notice.

Sweetgrl1963 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetgrl1963 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 12:56pm
post #4 of 4

thanks guys, thats what I needed to know. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%