Please Help Me With Making A Fondant Mermaid Topper

Decorating By PartyCupcakes Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 9:48pm by brincess_b

PartyCupcakes Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone

I haven't been able to find this information anywhere but I'd really like some help with making a mermaid topper for my cake, please!

I tried to make one by making the tail and then adding a skin colour piece on top and moulding it into a torso shape but it kept slouching down. In the process of moulding it the tail below got out of shape and ended up too thick around the hip area and starting getting cracks in it.

Any tips on how to do this? Should I let the torso dry first and then attach to the tail? How do I make the part where they join look nice?

I'm finding this to be quite tricky so would really appreciate any advice you have!

Thank you!

2 replies
silverc Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 9:45pm
post #2 of 3

I haven't made a mermaid before, but if I were to try, I would make the torso and the tail all flesh tone in one piece. Then I would cut circles in different shades of green and use them as scales to cover the tail, starting at the tip and working towards the waist. I don't know if it will work, but it is worth a try.

brincess_b Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 9:48pm
post #3 of 3

fondant alone isnt ideal, either mix it with some gumpaste or add something like tylose or cmc to it.
you could also disguise the join between torso and tail with like a belt of tail colour like the little mermaid has.

Quote by @%username% on %date%