What Should I Do With This Buttercream?

Baking By veghed Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 10:01pm by luvbuttercream

veghed Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 5

I made a double batch of buttercream using high ratio shortening. It tastes like greasy sugar. I can't stand it and would be embarassed to use it.

Prior to coming to this site, I used only butter on the rare occasion that I would make a cake, but I really want to produce top quality cakes.

I am very frustrated because the two bc recipes that I have tried from this site, this one and a Crisco based one, both taste like greasy sugar.

I am really stuck. Any suggestions?

4 replies
vtcake Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 5

I use only butter in my buttercream, tastes wonderful. If you think it's too sweet, add a touch of popcorn salt.

As for the frosting you just made, save it for practicing techniques.

mamawrobin Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by veghed

I made a double batch of buttercream using high ratio shortening. It tastes like greasy sugar. I can't stand it and would be embarassed to use it.

Prior to coming to this site, I used only butter on the rare occasion that I would make a cake, but I really want to produce top quality cakes.

I am very frustrated because the two bc recipes that I have tried from this site, this one and a Crisco based one, both taste like greasy sugar.

I am really stuck. Any suggestions?

I guess you could use it for practicing. I use Crisco and use Indydebi's recipe exclusively. Mine is never 'greasy' as a matter of fact the caterer that I bake for ask me IF I used shortening in my icing. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I'd stick with butter if that's what you prefer My customers on the other hand prefer Indydebi's buttercream. I always offer my all butter bc or SMBC and Indydebi's always wins....I love SMBC but I've yet to have a customer like it.

veghed Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks you guys...I was just about on the verge of tears (I'm a little dramatic today)

I think maybe shortening/butter combo???

I did combine it with some IMBC that I made last night and that helped somewhat.

momawrobin: I think I saw previously that you said that you let the indydebi recipe go in the mixer for 30 minutes. Did I get that right? No air bubbles?

luvbuttercream Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 5

I use half butter half shortening in my own tweaked recipe. I am not a fan of sweet frosting or greasy buttercream so I had to come up with something.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%