Stacking Two Tiers, Question From A Novice!

Decorating By chickchock Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 10:48pm by catlharper

chickchock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chickchock Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 2

Hi, so far the only cakes I've done have been one tiers. I want to make a two tier one for my sisters birthday, but am wondering how I do it? Do I completely cover the bottom layer with the icing and then stack the next cake on top? If so, what do I use to stick the tiers together? Buutercream? Apricot jam?

Thanks guys.

Oh and also while I'm here, how long does fondant icing last once the pack has been opened? I made my daughter a cake last week and have warpped the remaining icing and put in airtight containers, and am hoping to use this next week when I make my sisters, will it be OK?

Thanks.

1 reply
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 2

Check out one of the many videos on YouTube on how to stack a cake. I know the visual works best for me. Basically you frost/decorate each tier then dowel the bottom tier and place the top tier (which is on a cake round) on top of the dowels. You don't need to stick them together, they stack, not stick. Tho you may find that the cake round may stick a tiny bit to the top of the bottom tier.

As for the fondant, you will probably need to warm it up in the microwave for a few seconds and knead it well to get it soft enough to work with next week.

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%