How Do I Combine Surfing And A Baby Shower?

Decorating By kitty122000 Updated 21 Aug 2010 , 4:52am by kitty122000

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 7

The baby's name will be Finn, they want to play on the name and the "fin" on the back of a surfboard, as the parents are surfers. They also want it to look baby-ish, so I'm not sure exactly where to go with this theme. It's an 8" round. I was thinking waves around the border with little surfboards (with the fin) sticking out of the water, but wont that look like a bunch of people crashed their surfboards into the waves? ughh.. I can't seem to get into this cake. I need help! any ideas?

6 replies
cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 7

Could you make a surfboard on a wave on the top of the cake and a little baby sleeping on the surfboard?

hbarberycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbarberycakes Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 7

you could make a baby with surf shorts on and a little white nose for the sunscreen on the top. i like the idea of the waves on the side. all of the surfboards could have little baby designs like little ducks or something. that would be SUCH a fun cake to do!

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 7

If you are planning any lettering, look for the free font called "Gilligan's Island". It is available on number of the free font websites and looks like the lettering/logo from the show. Very beachy & cute. Also, it is a thicker block font that would be simple to cut/trace on fondant or to use as a FBCT. I'm using it on an edible image plaque for a hula themed cake.

Kristy

kitty122000 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 7

Great ideas!

I forgot to mention they don't want a baby on the cake! ugh! that'd make it so much easier!

I like the idea of baby designs on the surfboards!

I was thinking maybe a clothes line with baby surf gear on it tied between a couple of palm trees?

thanks for the tip on the lettering, I'll check it out.

I think I'm headed in the right direction... if anyone else has any ideas, please feel free to add your thoughts!

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 6:25am
post #6 of 7

I think you're right about having the "fin end" of the surfboards sticking out of the waves would look like a bunch of surfers crashed. icon_lol.gif But maybe you could have a "beach" area on the cake (an island in the middle?) with a couple of upside-down surfboards lying on the sand?

LOVE the idea of boards with little duckies and whatnot on them -- all the things you traditionally see on receiving blankets and the like -- teddy bears, alphabet blocks, diaper pins, etc.

A clothesline with little surf shorts and a onesie top would be cute.

Or, what about a baby carriage (old-fashioned pram style) with "woodie" sides, and a surfboard on top, fin sticking up.

kitty122000 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 4:52am
post #7 of 7

a pic of the final version is in my pics! I love how it turned out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%