How Do I Combine Surfing And A Baby Shower?

Decorating By kitty122000 Updated 21 Aug 2010 , 4:52am by kitty122000

kitty122000 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 7

The baby's name will be Finn, they want to play on the name and the "fin" on the back of a surfboard, as the parents are surfers. They also want it to look baby-ish, so I'm not sure exactly where to go with this theme. It's an 8" round. I was thinking waves around the border with little surfboards (with the fin) sticking out of the water, but wont that look like a bunch of people crashed their surfboards into the waves? ughh.. I can't seem to get into this cake. I need help! any ideas?

6 replies
cattycornercakes Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 7

Could you make a surfboard on a wave on the top of the cake and a little baby sleeping on the surfboard?

hbarberycakes Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 7

you could make a baby with surf shorts on and a little white nose for the sunscreen on the top. i like the idea of the waves on the side. all of the surfboards could have little baby designs like little ducks or something. that would be SUCH a fun cake to do!

KJ62798 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 7

If you are planning any lettering, look for the free font called "Gilligan's Island". It is available on number of the free font websites and looks like the lettering/logo from the show. Very beachy & cute. Also, it is a thicker block font that would be simple to cut/trace on fondant or to use as a FBCT. I'm using it on an edible image plaque for a hula themed cake.

Kristy

kitty122000 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 7

Great ideas!

I forgot to mention they don't want a baby on the cake! ugh! that'd make it so much easier!

I like the idea of baby designs on the surfboards!

I was thinking maybe a clothes line with baby surf gear on it tied between a couple of palm trees?

thanks for the tip on the lettering, I'll check it out.

I think I'm headed in the right direction... if anyone else has any ideas, please feel free to add your thoughts!

hollyml Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 6:25am
post #6 of 7

I think you're right about having the "fin end" of the surfboards sticking out of the waves would look like a bunch of surfers crashed. icon_lol.gif But maybe you could have a "beach" area on the cake (an island in the middle?) with a couple of upside-down surfboards lying on the sand?

LOVE the idea of boards with little duckies and whatnot on them -- all the things you traditionally see on receiving blankets and the like -- teddy bears, alphabet blocks, diaper pins, etc.

A clothesline with little surf shorts and a onesie top would be cute.

Or, what about a baby carriage (old-fashioned pram style) with "woodie" sides, and a surfboard on top, fin sticking up.

kitty122000 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 4:52am
post #7 of 7

a pic of the final version is in my pics! I love how it turned out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%