Lots Of Questions, But I'm A Newbie :)

Decorating By JustGettinStarted Updated 20 Aug 2010 , 4:44am by leafO

JustGettinStarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustGettinStarted Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 11

Okay, I have a lot of questions, and I'm really sorry if the "general" page isn't the best place for them...I just didn't want to make a lot of posts in different areas. Any way, here are my questions:

1.  Foor fondant, at what point should I wrap rather than lay fondant on a cake? Does anyone know of any good tutorials for wrapping?

2.  If Iâm using buttercream, which is better? to use a crusting one and wait for it to crust, apply liquid, then fondant, or to apply directly on soft, freshly spread buttercream?

3.  If Iâm using cream cheese icing, what do I need to do to apply fondant? Do I apply directly over the cream cheese? Do I need a "crusting" cream cheese icing for that?

4.  Does a cream cheese icing have to be stored in the fridge?

5.  At what point do I need to use a flower nail(s) in my cake while baking? How many do I need to use?

6.  Bake even strips-Do I really need them or can I just use aluminum foil?

7.  Splenda cooking? Anyone done it and have suggestions? I have someone wanting an all splenda cake and I'm worried it will affect the cake. (ps. they aren't diabetic or anything...just want to cut sugar, but ate 3 RI lilies from the sample cake and all of the fondant and buttercream on the sample cake...go figure!)

8. I've seen on here that a lot of you bake at 325. Do you do that even if the recipe (say on a boxed mix) says to do so at 350?

Thank you all so much in advance! Although I love this new hobby, it is still a mystery to me icon_smile.gif

10 replies
pbeckwith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeckwith Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 11:37pm
post #2 of 11

Wow, so many different types of questions. I'm a hobby baker so there's some of your questions I wouldn't attempt to answer. Once you spend some time on this site you'll be amazed at the help you'll get from the pros, there are many tutorials on here to help you through anything you want to try. And if you've looked at the pictures, you KNOW there are many pros on here.
I always use a flower nail in anything larger than 9" circle. I always use the bake even strips. I mostly bake at 350. I use mostly a crusting buttercream or Italian Meringue Buttercream. The only thing that I use marshmallow fondant for is decorations (stars, circles, ribbons, etc). The taste of the buttercreams outweigh the taste of any fondant 100%.
I hope you'll take the time (once the site is running properly) to really delve into this site - it's amazing and extremely helpful. Good luck to you.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 12:16pm
post #3 of 11

WOW lots of questions!! The best way to answer them is to suggest you check out some of the you tube videos. The will give you visual which always is a plus for me! Also Sharon's Zambito's DVDs are a must for everyone!!! They are fantastic!!!

Buttercream

GOOD LUCK!!!

JustGettinStarted Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 2:12pm
post #4 of 11

Anyone else wanna help? I am doing a belly cake this weekend and I'm using the BC bake-n-fill pan (Dome with insert) and the recipe (as well as the pan) say to cook at 350, but I did a trial run and it came out drier than normal. Any suggestions? Syrup spray? 325?

Karen421 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 11

I always bake at 325 unless it is a very large cake, then I reduce the temp. Baking at a lower temp will help with it baking level.

JustGettinStarted Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 5:38pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you so much! I'm going to bake it at 325 then! I'm so excited and I really appreciate your input!

Karen421 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 11

No problem and Good Luck, I am surprised you didn't get more responses!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 1:45am
post #8 of 11

1. Foor fondant, at what point should I wrap rather than lay fondant on a cake? Does anyone know of any good tutorials for wrapping?

when the height of the cake is near the same as the diameter, or greater, it is time to wrap it.

2. If Iâm using buttercream, which is better? to use a crusting one and wait for it to crust, apply liquid, then fondant, or to apply directly on soft, freshly spread buttercream?

either way is used by different people. u might ave to experiment to see what u like best. I use a crumb coat and let it crust, then flash freeze before fondant. Lots of ways to approach this one that work!

3. If Iâm using cream cheese icing, what do I need to do to apply fondant? Do I apply directly over the cream cheese? Do I need a "crusting" cream cheese icing for that?

I have personally never had good luck with CC icing under fondant. always slides.

4. Does a cream cheese icing have to be stored in the fridge?

u will get opposing answers to this one too. some say yes and some say if the sugar is high enough it does not need it. KathyF has one she does not fridge and it crusts.

5. At what point do I need to use a flower nail(s) in my cake while baking? How many do I need to use?

i use them for 9 inch and up

6. Bake even strips-Do I really need them or can I just use aluminum foil?

i have not heard of using foil outside the pan. the water in the strips is what cools down the sides of the cake and prevetns it from overbaking

7. Splenda cooking? Anyone done it and have suggestions? I have someone wanting an all splenda cake and I'm worried it will affect the cake. (ps they aren't diabetic or anything...just want to cut sugar, but ate 3 RI lilies from the sample cake and all of the fondant and buttercream on the sample cake...go figure!)

8. I've seen on here that a lot of you bake at 325. Do you do that even if the recipe (say on a boxed mix) says to do so at 350?

yes, all cakes

Thank you all so much in advance! Although I love this new hobby, it is still a mystery to me

have fun and keep at it!

JustGettinStarted Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 2:08am
post #9 of 11

Sharon, I know it is early in our relationship, but I must say that I love you! icon_biggrin.gif Thank you so much! Your information is SO helpful! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 3:30am
post #10 of 11

hahaha. happy to help and you will find many many folks here willing to help in great detail. welcome!

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 4:44am
post #11 of 11

Here is a good article about using sugar subs in baking. It has some good info on how each one will effect baking and what quantity to substitute.

http://allrecipes.com//HowTo/baking-with-sugar-and-sugar-substitutes/Detail.aspx

I haven't used splenda before but I think the substution is 1/2C splenda for each cup sugar. I did a chocolate cake for a friend with sugar restrictions last year. I subed crystalline fructose (I think it was 1/3 c for each C sugar) and it came out pretty well but didn't rise as high as normal. I covered it in ganache. So rich and yummy but doesn't have very much sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%