Wedding In 11 Days And Still No Payment

Business By BethLS Updated 18 Aug 2010 , 12:41pm by BethLS

BethLS Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 12

So, my BIL girlfriend emails me one day (several months ago) and asks if I do wedding cakes. (Not for her, for her best friend) I email her back and say of course, here is my price sheet, and to please have said Bride contact me for my portfolio and a quote for what shes looking for. A few weeks later from then the bride and groom, plus my BIL and his girlfriend come to me for a tasting. It goes great, and says they will be in contact. (I usually take this as they dont want to hire me, which is totally fine icon_wink.gif)

Now, I DID give bride a deal on her cake. I did this because 1) BIL girlfriend has gotten me a TON of business, truly!) and 2) Its girlfriends best friend. That is not the issue at hand though however...(though it is my complete stupidity to not get the deposit from her, live and learn)

I met with bride and groom three weeks ago to go over the final cake sketch, and pick up their cake topper. She said her future MIL will be paying for the cake as soon as she gets back from vacation in England.

It is 11 days from the wedding and I STILL haven't recieved payment on this cake. (I have no purchased anything for the cake, and wont until I have cash in hand)

I am just becoming frustrated (I know, it is my fault!) and really could use some words to (tactfully!) contact said bride about where the payment is and when I should be receiving it.

Advice, please?

11 replies
Juliequeen Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 12

Did you disclose to them that payment is due in advance? I wasnt sure from reading your post.
Either way, I would email or call and politely explain that you need at a deposit so that you can purchase supplies at the very least. Good luck!

love2makecakes Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 12

I would just contact the bride and simply state that you need the payment for the wedding cake within 3 days (one week before wedding) or there will be no cake. You are a business and need to handle things as such. I request all my payments 3 weeks prior to wedding to insure that checks are cashed and good. Does the bride know that she needed to pay for the cake in advance? Some venues (such as the place I had my reception) request payment during or after the reception, maybe that is what she is thinking. Maybe at this point you need final payment in cash.

luckylibra Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 12

I am not in the business but have some management experience. Did they sign a contract and does it stipulate when the final payment is due? If so I would contact them and indicate you do not purchase ingredients until paid in full and per your contract this should have been done by now. Politely but firmly let them know that there will be no cake if you dont receive payment by X date.. Best of luck. I hate reading these stories on here.. I feel so badly for those of you that deal with these individuals. I would guess most of them do not realize what a bind that puts you in and are too busy with other preparations to give it any thought..

BethLS Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:54pm
post #5 of 12

Sorry, my apologies for not being clear icon_wink.gif (Four year old and 3 year olds are making me not-so precise, Lol)

Anyway, YES it was clear payment was expected in advance. And said, "as soon as MIL is back from Europe we will pay you" I asked when that was and she said "sometime in the week of the 16th. Geez.

I contact her but no response yet...if this were a regular customer I wouldnt have much problem in just letting it go. However since shes friends with relatives that could get dicey, and I dont need family issues on top of it all...

Thanks gals!

Ellie1985 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:55pm
post #6 of 12

Can you call BIL girlfriend and have her remind bride that you need payment ASP or at least a deposit???

Auryn Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:58pm
post #7 of 12

Contact your brother's girlfriend and explain to her the severity of the situation.
That if they don't get cash to you within the next 2 days they are out of luck on the cake.

When they told you "the week of the 16th" you should have gotten out a calendar and explained to them in iron clad words when the payment needed to come in.
The week of the 16th could mean anything until Sunday.

janeoxo Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:58pm
post #8 of 12

You did not mention anything about a contract and whether you are a business.

Personally and I know many others are the same there is a contract, deposit paid on booking and balance due at stipulated time which is written in contract which bride gets a copy of.

If none of the above happened and bride does not have any form of paperwork to let her know what is happening and when, she is not going to know when to pay. If that is the case you need to call and explain you need the money for supplies etc.

If you are not doing contracts and deposits I suggest this is something you start from your next customer.

Good luck

love2makecakes Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 5:34pm
post #9 of 12

It makes it sort of difficult because she told you her MIL will not be back until the week of the 16th. So really in her mind you were okay with not getting the payment until after that because she told you that.

I personally would not contact the BIL's girlfriend. Your contract is between you and the client not the person that referred the client.

I hate doing cakes for friends or family for this very reason... They are less likely to treat you like a bonafide business. They wouldnt go to a local bakery and order a cake then dictate when they are going to pay for it. But because you are a friend of a friend they probably assume they can do this with you.

Im sure it will all work out. Dont get too stressed, but just stick to you guns and don't hesitate to stay on them about the payment. Again make it clear... No payment, no cake.

shalini1 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 7:30pm
post #10 of 12

I totally agree with both of lovetomakecakes' posts. You need to be polite but firm, explain that you will need the payment no later than X date otherwise (unfortunately) no cake for you

indydebi Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 5:35am
post #11 of 12

I actually had the phrase in my contract, "Payments not received as scheduled will constitute a cancellation on the part of the client and CIS will not show up at the event." Yes, it was bolded on the contract and yes, they had to initial next to this.

I also told a client, who was asking for a last minute change, "that's the least of your problems. If I dont' have a payment in here by 5:00 p.m., I will not show up at your event."

Its business. That's all it is. Just business.

BethLS Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 12:41pm
post #12 of 12

Thankyou to each person who commented on my subject. icon_smile.gif Truly appreciated.

I spoke with the MOG (mother of groom? lol) and we will be meeting today (I have to go into town anyway) for payment icon_smile.gif

Thanks muchly!

Quote by @%username% on %date%