Florida Business Owners!

Business By mindy1204 Updated 10 Sep 2010 , 4:16pm by CakelynsFinest

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 15

Can anyone tell me if I need to get a state tax ID... In addition to the federal tax ID.? Thank you!

14 replies
LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 15
Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 15

Yep

DerrellC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DerrellC Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 1:10am
post #4 of 15

Hi Mindy, yes you do ! Here are some other requirments from the over regulated Fl Dept of Aguculture, 9 sinks, 4 bathrooms, 37 handicap parking spaces, blood type of your 1 st. born,2,000 sq. feet of refrigerated space, ETC. just kidding, but sure would be nice to get a cottage food law here.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 2:25am
post #5 of 15

LOL DerrellC! That's not too far off! icon_rolleyes.gif

DerrellC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DerrellC Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 3:01am
post #6 of 15

Hi Cakemaster, we have found a commercial kitchen to rent space from, and still hard to belive but we have to pay $500.00 to have dept of ag inspect a up and running legal kitchen. It's ALL about the money !!

got to becareful,or I'll get booted for "political " talk !!!!

FIRE THEM ALL ...................

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 3:19am
post #7 of 15

Yeah, we had to do the same thing, we are renting from a caterer with an already licensed, legal kitchen. They had actually just had their inspection the week before!

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 7:36pm
post #8 of 15

Ok where on the website does it say the cost for the inspection is $500? I have found a kitchen to rent and never heard/read anything about the $500!

lacie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lacie Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 8:39pm
post #9 of 15

i rent time from an established catering company too, you have to have your own inspection by dept of ag and fire inspection as well

the inspection is free the food lic is $500
the insurance is $500-600
the business lic is $50
to set up my corp was $250
oh and wait untill the first of the year to get your food lic, we got mine last year in October and had to pay the $500 and had to turn around in January and pay another $500 for the new year. their year doesn't begin on your purchase date

sechrestloans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sechrestloans Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 1:26pm
post #10 of 15

we are renting out commercial space also, just started, $50 app fee, $130 for license, $250 deposit, and $125 for the first 8 hours. 8 hour minimum requirement per month, so it is at least $125 per month. Insurance is $550 a year. but when I think about it, where else can you start a business for about 1K? it would be alot more expensive to have the kitchen custom made for us and rent in a shopping plaza. Maybe one day when we are big enough, but for now it is not even a thought!

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 5:37pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy1204

Ok where on the website does it say the cost for the inspection is $500? I have found a kitchen to rent and never heard/read anything about the $500!

I think what the inspection costs depends on your city/county. It's a little different everywhere. Our inspection for our rented kitchen was about $300.

KrazyAboutCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrazyAboutCake Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 11:45pm
post #12 of 15

Hi everyone,
I have been working on getting the Cottage Food Act passed in Florida. There are several of us sending letters to our state representatives. When we get this passed it will allow us to bake from home and sell to the public. So far State Rep John Wood and Janet Long is very interested in supporting the bill to be passed. We need to hit it hard and strong after November so it will be discussed in February when legislation goes back to session.

I am holding a meeting on September 11th at 1:00 pm at the Cheesecake Factory in Tampa at the International Mall.
Barb

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 3:20am
post #13 of 15

Barb ~
I asked this very question on another forum, about the meeting this Saturday, the 11th. I hadn't heard from anyone, but I'm so glad I ran across this thread! I'm a few hours away from Tampa, so I can't come to the meeting or I would gladly be there! Is there a petition that we can sign, or do we just need to write to our representatives? Please let us know how the meeting goes!! I'm all for the cottage food law..it would be great for all of us!

KrazyAboutCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrazyAboutCake Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 10:40am
post #14 of 15

Hey Butterflygirl30, thanks for the support. Right now we are just sending letters to our State Representatives. We need to hit it hard after the November elections. I don't have a petition going but, this morning I just received a link from D. Denay (www.homebasedbusiness.com) who lives in North Carolina. NC has the cottage food act and I heard their law is the best. If you would like to help could you please get the petition started here is the website and it is Free. http://www.petitiononline.com/petition.html that would be a great help. I will post the outcome regarding the meeting on saturday. The main purpose of this meeting is to come up with ways of getting the word out to the rest of the state.
The PTA at schools is a great place to start. PTA always have bake sales to raise money for the schools bands, and sports.
Non profit agencies is another if we could get them to help send letters for to support the bill.

Thanks, stay in touch here is my email address [email protected]

CakelynsFinest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakelynsFinest Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 4:16pm
post #15 of 15

Oh I would love to go! I live in Tampa and feel there are no options for me. I am fairly new to cake decorating but my skills have grown so much. I would love to start my own business legally! Unfortuantely I can't go to the meeting, but please keep me posted on the outcome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%