Why Is My Edible Printer Doing This???...

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 23 Aug 2010 , 11:57am by icingimages

Mikel79 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 19

Hi Cakers!

I know I should be asking the Technical question to KopyKake, however I refuse to talk to the Technical "guy" again! Last time I called he suggested I place regular ink in my edible printer to fix the ink problem. Also, told me that regular ink is safe to consume??!! WTF?!

Anyway, I have a Canon IP4700 printer. The last two times I have used this the black ink will not print. The first time I took the black tanks out and cleaned the heads. Place back in and there go, working fine. Yesterday, same problem. Did the same think, does not print??

So, I take the tanks out and clean the port that the ink pours into with a
Q-tip. There you go, fix it up!! But this is becoming a pain in the a@@ !! I want to use my printer without taking it apart.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Michael

18 replies
Crimsicle Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 19

I had ALL SORTS of problems with Kopykake ink. It cost me two printheads. Not at first....the ink seemed fine for a long time. But, then something changed, and I got nothing but clogs after clogs after clogs. Bought a new printer and changed to Icing Images ink. So far, so good!

Mikel79 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 19

Since I used KopyKate ink, is it ok to change to the different brand?

Thanks,

Michael

cutthecake Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 19

I have a Canon i560, and it's been nothing but trouble. I don't use it regularly, and the lack of use is probably causing the problems. When I do try to use it, I get streaky, weak-colored images, and I am wasting ink and icing sheets. Debbie at Icing Images has offered to check and clean my print head, and I plan on sending it to her this week. If the printhead is okay, I plan on using Icing Images ink.
Good luck!

Mikel79 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 19

I just sent icingimages a PM. Maybe she can provide a solution?

=)

cutthecake Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 10:29pm
post #6 of 19

She has been very gracious and helpful. I hope she has good news about my print head. I hope she can help you, too.

Katiebelle74 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 11:36pm
post #7 of 19

I too have had a challenging time with edible printers. In fact when they were brand new I was in culinary college and worked part time in a Sam's club bakery where we had one, it was having problems more often than working. I was not going to buy one due to the previous experiences I had. Then my brother bought me one from icing images (Their customer service is awesome, but edible printer is still problematic). It worked great at first then I did not use it for awhile. Then I got the streaky weak images like cutthecake mentioned. I used my shark steam cleaner as a last ditch effort on the print head and it worked wonders! Now I am out of ink from all the tests/clean cycles I ran before trying the steamer. They did tell me at Icing images that you can print something once a week on regular paper to keep it functioning then your only wasting the edible ink but not wasting your sugar paper.

Mikel79 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 12:16am
post #8 of 19

Great tip about using the printer at least once a week with regular paper. I am goind to start doing that!

Michael

Mikel79 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 10:56am
post #9 of 19

Hoping Icingimages will see this post.....

Thanks,

Michael

GGx1 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 11:10am
post #10 of 19

I have been thinking of getting an edible ink printer for my self for Christmas, but now I am not so sure. I was hoping that besides printing my own cake images I could also advertise that I offer this service. Here where I live there are only 2 stores that will print and sell them to me and half the time they are too busy or their printer s not working. The store did say a lot of their business for the edible images comes from selling edible images to others not from printing for their own cakes. I have only done a few edible images so I do not know.

icingimages Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 1:01pm
post #11 of 19

Hi!
So sorry it took this long to reply, I was at ICES and I am just getting back. Thank you everyone for all your nice comments, we try very hard to help our customers.
It is very important that whatever the ink you use, you print with it at least once per week. If you are in a retail store, I suggest that every Monday, print a coupon and hand it to your next customer. If you do not own a retail store, just print anything on regular paper as long as it is not taxes.
The steamer is an awesome cleaner. That is what we use with our non-toxic cleaners to clear up printheads that have been a loss for our customers.

Regular ink is not safe to consume. If it were, KK or myself would not be in business. My guess Mikel is that you are not using your printer regularly which is causing the clogging regularly. As for printhead burnout that was discussed, some inks have alcohol in it. When Canon printers print, the ink is actually heated, heating the alcohol burns the printhead over time and can cause that. There are other reasons for printhead burnout as well, but we know how to fix most of it. It is ok to switch ink manufacturers as long as your printer is not warrantied by the original company.

GGx1, I started my business over 11 years ago by offering edible printing to other bakeries and realators in the area. I did not bake! Just make sure you are printing at least once per week and make sure you are committed to using the printer.

Mikel, let me know if you have been using it once per week, if not, that is most likely the root of your problem! Again, I apologize for the delay in getting back with you all, ICES took me out of commission for a week! It was fun but I hope I didnt let anyone down by being unavailable!

Mikel79 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 1:09pm
post #12 of 19

Icingimages...

Thank you so much for all of the input!! Be certain, next time I buy icing sheets and ink it will be from you!!!

Can I buy the steamer and clean it myself?? No, I am not using the printer ince a week. If fact, I have gone maybe 2 months in between uses??

Is my printer going to be ok????? Can it be fixed so it prints like I first bought it??

Thanks again!!

Michael

icingimages Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 1:16pm
post #13 of 19

Hi
You can get steam cleaners from the store, or from us. Ours comes with the non-toxic cleaners. Make sure if you buy it from the store that you get one with a thin long nozzle to be able to spray the nozzles on your printhead. You do not want a large steamer that steams clothes.
You can get your printhead cleaned and it will print like new again! If you want to send us your printhead, we will be glad to clean it for you at no charge. But honestly, I love having the steamer around. It cleans other nasty messes that you cant get clean around the office!!!!

Mikel79 Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 1:36pm
post #14 of 19

Debbie...

Does your steam cleaner come with instructions on how to use it with the edible printer?

I cannot belive you are offering to clean the printer head free!! That is amazing and unheard of!! You have certainly won over a customer!! If I decide to send the printer head to you, how do I go about doing that?

I assume that the printer head is that rectangle shape holder that holds all of the printer tanks??

Also, you mention I can find these cleaners at a "store". Where exactly. Wal-mart, Michaels, Hobby Lobby etc?

Thanks,
Michael

Mikel79 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 9:36am
post #15 of 19

Does anyone else have input on how to use a steam cleaner to clean the printer head on a edible printer??

Or, does anyone know if the cleaner from icing images comes with instructions or how to go about sending the head to icing images?

I asked this question on here, however I think icingimages is backed up with work due to the ICES convention... she has not responded...

In addition, is the cartr. head that rectandle thing that the tanks are held in?

Thanks,
Michael

cutthecake Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 12:17pm
post #16 of 19

I just sent you a PM.

Crimsicle Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 1:19pm
post #17 of 19

I'm going to post this here and do a similar post on the icing images forum. Having lost two printheads to terminal clogging (NOT using Icing Images ink!), I'm very sensitive to these issues. So, now I faithfully run a test print on plain paper. I've made a little image file that is simply dots of the four basic colors. It will show up a problem in a specific nozzle, if one develops. I know it is impossible to upload or attach an image anywhere on Cake Central right now, or I'd post it here. If you'll PM me with a real email addy, I'll send you a copy.

Another tip is to make sure your printer is turned off when you're done. That parks the head. It'll take a little longer for it to gear up for printing the next time, but it's just another way to cut down on the possibility of ink drying/clogging on you.

Mikel79 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 1:29pm
post #18 of 19

Crimsicle...

Thank you!!

I will PM you!

Michael

icingimages Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 11:57am
post #19 of 19

Hi:
I apologize for the delay. I am rather backed up from ICES, but should be caught up today! Yipee! The steam cleaner has we use has a thin nozzle so you can get inside the printhead. We do have instructions for it we can send you if you email us direct. The cartridges sit inside the printhead which is removable.
I hope this helps and I hope you forgive me for the long delay in responding!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%